Wireless in 600 MHz band at risk of being banned

• Members

Now the F.C.C. is again seeking prime spectrum for sale to wireless carriers. Under its current plan, the commission is aiming to persuade some broadcast stations to give up their airwaves or to agree to move to another spot, freeing up for auction the bands in the 600- to 700-megahertz range, where wireless mikes and other devices often operate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/30/business/fcc-has-yen-for-broadways-wireless-spectrum.html

• Members

dboomer wrote:

This isn't new news.  The plan is to re-allocate 120 MHz out of the TV band which is more than half of what is currently legal and will put all of that off limits for wireless mics by 2021.  The Obama administration rubber stamped a go on this years ago.

just one more reason to luv the guy!  :(

• Members

I guess that depends on your defination of safe wink.gif

The 2.4GHz band is an ISM band that is overseen by a branch of the United Nations called the ITU.  Everything that happens (or can happen) is by a treaty , so it's not as easy as the FCC deciding to make changes, and those changes have been well announced for years already.  I suppose everything will give way some day but I know of absolutely nothing planned.  Typically there's a pretty long runway time before any changes actually happen (like on the order of 10 years).

They way Moore's law is in high gear I'm not sure how long I'd want to use today's technology.  I can't imaging using a 2 year old cell phone or computer.  So while I expect the life of current Line 6 wireless technology could easily be 20 years or more I would expect that the state of the art will have advanced so far and so many new features might be included that it might be hard to stay too long with the current state of technology.

Who knows ... in 20 years we may just go watch our cell phones do a concert freak.gif

• 7 months later...
  • Members

The issue isn't that they don't need to operate in 600mhz band it's that 3 Yrs ago the FCC took the 700mhz band causing some people hundreds of thousands of dollars. Now they want to take the 600s causing us to resort to the already overcrowded 500mhz band. If this happens we can basically say good bye to the UHF spectrum as it pertains to wireless mics.

Archived