FORUM LANGUAGE REMINDER

• CMS Author

Folks, please remember that profanity of any kind is no longer acceptable in the forums. I've had to edit a number of posts that are violating this. Keep in mind that sp3ll1ing words with $ymb0ls, a*terisks, etc. is not an acceptable alternative. When a post with profanity is copied by others, this makes the cleanup effort even more difficult and time-consuming, and I'm increasingly more likely to simply delete the post or thread.

Motivation? Harmony Central is trying to get the forums accessible to schools, universities, etc. and if the language crosses a threshold, this can't happen. It's a worthwhile reason, I think, because we need to promote music to children and young adults as much as possible.

Thanks for understanding and complying. If you have any questions, by all means contact me.

• CMS Author

StratGuy22 wrote:

Can they somehow fix
tags and YouTube for mobile?

Or even the full version on mobile?

Thanks.

Apparently they can't or won't, because that plus the inability to quote a prior post in mobile are the biggest requests/complaints. I'm not near the front lines of discussion of forum software, and don't want to be!

• CMS Author

StratGuy22 wrote:

Ah yes.

+1 to whoever rooked them into this software.

Vbulliten is much better. But what can you do.

:facepalm:

Thanks anyways. People always seem to fail upwards. Then they get to make these great decisions.

Indeed, forum management recognized that vBulletin is excellent forum software. However, the spec called for the entire HC website to be upgraded, with a lot of additions to the content side. vB doesn't have that capability, and after trying to tie a vB forum to the rest of HC on another system, it was shown to be unfeasible. One of the biggest issues has always been bandwidth...not many vendors had systems that could scale up to HC's traffic.

They did learn from the hard lessons of the Jive fiasco. I think they did a pretty good job considering the breadth and the depth of the spec. There's still more to do, and more to come.

• CMS Author

dboomer wrote:

Can we also outlaw "prolly".  

Everytime I see that I'm thinking ... "gee, there's someone with a bright future in the lawn care industry"

Indeed, and the list continues:

Any sentence that should end in "me", "us", "them", or "you" but instead ends in "with". "I'm going to the mall, want to come with?"

Incorrect use of "there"  and "their" is way up there, but is always trumped by using either word if the correct form is "they're".

Asking whether someone has dined by belching out, "Jeet?"

• 4 weeks later...

Archived