Small-ish powered subs?

• Members

I'm considering adding an active sub in our ~18'x25' practice (aka jam) room sometime in this next year.

Acoustic drums, electric piano, plus a varying number of visiting firemen which usually includes electric bass and at least two plugged-in guitars (of various sorts), vocals in varying number/quality (usually 3x or more), whatever other instruments appears for a given session.  I am able to match my drum volume to the mix, and I don't overpower the room... so we have no intention to mic any of the kit.  (Although I may eventually get a wild hair up and maybe look into an electronic set some time in my life...)

Undistinguished PA: Mackie CFX12 mixer, Alesis RA100 amp, two Toa 12" tops elevated and facing toward musicians as "stage monitors," usually enough inputs available for all mics and all instruments through the board, plenty of power for the room and the mix, plus sufficient tone -- so traditional instrument amps are available but usually not required.

I suspect a 12" sub may be quite sufficient to complement the tops, but would benefit from suggestions, commentary, and debate.  I would describe the idea as notional at this point, so the budget would be "open for dicussion" -- with value being a useful but not sole criterion.  (I'm old, don't do weights well anymore, etc.)

Thoughts?

-D44

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

RoadRanger wrote:

If it's gonna stay put is there any reason it has to be small or light?

Wouldn't hurt, but that could be debatable.  I don't play out anymore, except when I get out-voted and we do something basically for charity... and that's very much driven by the load factor for drums, piano, PA, amps if necessary... and the stairs in between here and there :)

-D44

• Members

Drummer44 wrote:

I'm considering adding an active sub in our ~18'x25' practice (aka jam) room sometime in this next year.

I suspect a 12" sub may be quite sufficient to complement the tops, but would benefit from suggestions, commentary, and debate.  I would describe the idea as notional at this point, so the budget would be "open for dicussion" -- with value being a useful but not sole criterion.  (I'm old, don't do weights well anymore, etc.)

Thoughts?

-D44

I work with a guy who's the other side of 55 years, and he just bought one of these and loves it.  He plays left hand bass through it in our duo.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/19052/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/Ysl_10.htm

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Most folks like thier equipment to remain undamaged so they can enjoy a long trouble free life.

Life's too short to freak out every time you see a little red LED flicker biggrin.gif. Most all powered cabs have great protection built-in that you can count on. Heck, even Behringer seems to have got that right thumb.gif.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Al, program power is most usually 2x the continuous power rating BUT some manufacturers use different multipliers.

That's why I didn't specify a number, but simply said the HF driver should be able to handle over it's 50 watt RMS rating on musical peaks, which I feel is a fair statement.

Al 

Archived