AC circuit load tester?

• CMS Author

It might be useful, but holy analogies batman! I can't get past this:

"A Representation Of Power

Imagine a chain that holds up a heavy weight. Wouldn't you want to test that chain before using it? What if that chain was actually... electricity?

See, electricity is like a chain. If you hang too much on it, sooner or later, one of the links will snap and all your coffee makers will clatter to the ground and possibly explode into fire. That's why it's important to always test the metaphorical chain link that is your electrical outlet. Was that segue unclear? Maybe we should be more clear with our imagery here,

If your power line was an ocean full of fish, then this Extech AC Circuit Load Tester would test just how many fish could be delivered into your home. Maybe you'd, let's say, only have a fishbowl that could hold two fish without exploding into a shower of sparks. You'd look, and see it was a 20 fish line, and say NO WAY! and be safe. Whereas, before, you'd just end up with a living room full of piranha!

Or what if your outlet was a pizza oven, and you had a small child only hungry for a few slices? Well, in that metaphor, this tester would turn red if the slices were too hot, and keep your child from weeping when a sizzling pepperoni fell down onto their leg.

No matter how we explain it, this thing keeps you from getting trapped in a terrible disaster. Isn't that worth it?"

• Members

Craig Vecchione wrote:

It might be useful, but holy analogies batman! I can't get past this:
"A Representation Of Power

Imagine a chain that holds up a heavy weight. Wouldn't you want to test that chain before using it? What if that chain was actually... electricity?

See, electricity is like a chain. If you hang too much on it, sooner or later, one of the links will snap and all your coffee makers will clatter to the ground and possibly explode into fire. That's why it's important to always test the metaphorical chain link that is your electrical outlet. Was that segue unclear? Maybe we should be more clear with our imagery here,

If your power line was an ocean full of fish, then this Extech AC Circuit Load Tester would test just how many fish could be delivered into your home. Maybe you'd, let's say, only have a fishbowl that could hold two fish without exploding into a shower of sparks. You'd look, and see it was a 20 fish line, and say NO WAY! and be safe. Whereas, before, you'd just end up with a living room full of piranha!

Or what if your outlet was a pizza oven, and you had a small child only hungry for a few slices? Well, in that metaphor, this tester would turn red if the slices were too hot, and keep your child from weeping when a sizzling pepperoni fell down onto their leg.

No matter how we explain it, this thing keeps you from getting trapped in a terrible disaster. Isn't that worth it?"

Note to self; At all times, avoid writing ad copy while in the throes of severe fever dreams.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

Anybody think this would be useful?

I think they are very useful.... but you can get something very close much cheeper:  http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

I use this for basic checking and an o-scope if I am looking for something less than obvous ;)

This little guy doesn't have a load.  I just use a simple electric heater ... or two ;)

• Members

That P3 is what I have and it takes a while for the final (low) voltage to be reached when I plug in something with a big draw like a space heater.  Is that some sort of dampening built into the P3 or are the wires -  a 50' 12/3 extension cord and the house wiring - heating up  and becoming less conductive as the test progresses?

If the Exetech is doing an instantaneous or very brief measurement and perhaps caluculating the voltage drop would it be accurate? 

Archived