Smallest most powerful Active/Powered 12 inch PA speakers for medium sized bars less that 300 people

• Members

In the "well known and easy to buy" catagory I'd say the JBL PRX or QSC K. They seem to be the most compact of the $750-$1000 boxes.

If you're feeling more adventurous:

FBT ProMaxx-12A (only 33 lbs)

RCF ART710A-II (30 lbs) would be stretching your budget but may be able to get for close to $1000 a box. Would be small option as it's a 10" speaker

RCF HD-32A - Would also be at top of your budget, but is likely the most capable of all l've listed. 

• Members

Define "powerful" please. I'd argue that (depending on the shape of the performance area of the bar) you'd be better off with two pair of 130dB-ish MaxSPL tops to achieve adequate coverage for most situations rather than a single pair of crazy loud tops that deafen half of the audience trying to get enough level beyond the coverage angles to have the other have hear you.

EDIT: It would also help to know what 18" subs you're using and how you're powering them...

• Members

One of our full time solo performers just picked up a powered speaker in this line and he is totally amazed with the performance it delivers.  I think its a 10 "    blows the bose system he was useing out of the water from what he said.   I am looking forward to catching one of his shows due to hear them. 

• Members

Gearo998 wrote:

I have peavey SP15's and they don't fit in my truck with the rest of my gear. I need small powerful 12's

active if possible to use with my rock band and with my acoustic show. What should I get? Budget is around $2k.

The most powerful 12" speaker in that price range would be the Yamaha DSR112.  They have the most potent output in their class (to my ears) when compared to the PRX612m, KW122, K12, and ELX112.

They weigh 47lbs each which is a bit on the heavy side for this class of speaker.  If weight is an issue for you then the best combination of weight and output is the PRX612m's.  They are feather light at only 36lbs.

Archived