Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aux compressors enough protection for IEMs?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aux compressors enough protection for IEMs?

Are digital mixer Aux send compressors enough to protect your hearing when using wired IEMs? I've got a Mackie DL1608 and with some IEMs could probably be happier playing with my band. (Stage volume is about 110. I really like it down at least 10 db) My cheap streak is kicking in and while another wireless device doesn't bother me, money is a bit tight right now and wired looks a bit better. (Because I'm usually sitting at the keyboards.)

Interesting. Are you concerned about transients that just slip past the compresso r? 

How much headroom do you have on the IEMs?  Can you not attenuate their inputs so the mixers aux outputs are driving pretty hard? And then slap the steep/quick attack compressor at the very top of available headroom? Would a rare clip (on the mixers output assuming it gets past the compressor) potentially damage you ears or the IEMs at that point? 

Comment

It's a comp/lim, not just compressor, so it's got a high enough ratio to handle output limiting. Should work fine.

Comment

• agedhorse
        agedhorse commented
        Editing a comment

Should be fine IF it's set properly (appropriate ratio and threshold) to limit at a safe volume. 

What do the venues think of the stage bleed?110db does seem awfully loud.
      NO SIGNATURE FOR YOU!!

Comment

• WynnD
        WynnD commented
        Editing a comment

StratGuy22 wrote:
        What do the venues think of the stage bleed?110db does seem awfully loud.
        Not the venue, but they are frequently not much different. (Q's Pub being a serious exception. Loved playing there with their engineer and system.)

If the limiter on the body pack is not adjustable by the user, it may be the safest solution.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

• Craig Vecchione
        Craig Vecchione commented
        Editing a comment

agedhorse wrote:
        If the limiter on the body pack is not adjustable by the user, it may be the safest solution.

That's always been my working assumption, but Don has good points about the uncontrolled variable of different earphone sensitivities. I'd still be inclined to go this route. My P2R-based system was used with several different earphones, including the E2C's it originally came with, my E4C's (still chugging along) and some visiting iPod and Sennheiser stuff, though I wasn't the wearer and can't directly comment. All had different impedance and output sensitivity, but nobody ever had a problem worth noting. My hearing's still well above average for a 52-year old guy into music....

Working...
    X