EV ELX118p vs Yorkville LS720P vs FBT Promaxx sub

• Members

Has anyone had a chance to compare any of these active subs?

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1068

http://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/elite/product/ls720p/

http://www.fbt.it/ENG/PAE/PRODOTTI/SPEAKERS/ProMaxX/ProMaxX-15/index.asp

Any ideas as to which offers the most output (real world not on paper) for miking whole bands including drums?

• Members

Thanks for the reply. I had a quick look at this and noticed its max spl is only131db compared to 134db, 135db & 136db of the other subs!?

I've also had experience with the JBL EON 518 sub and found the specs to be extremely over rated!?

Whilst I believe the specs of the other subs I listed are over rated as well 136db of the FBT vs 131db of the JBL is a big difference!

• Members

If you're considering Yorkville, you might as well get the LS801P and be done with it, unless of course you don't need or want the size and weight. I just saw a used one for $900 (or was it $800) with a store warranty. And OT I also saw two EF500P's for $700 each. Which brings me back OT, what tops are you using? Are you using a crossover?

Anyway, I've got one LS720P sub, and it does just fine for smaller Classic Rock gigs, but I've got eighteen inch subs for bigger - although I'd like to get rid of them. Doing all small stuff lately. So that's something to consider as well - size and weight.

• Members

hammondman wrote:

Has anyone had a chance to compare any of these active subs?

Any ideas as to which offers the most output (real world not on paper) for miking whole bands including drums?

First, let me say that I am not a fan of bandpass subs .... or "one note wonder's".  They sound boomy and lack impact to my ear.  YMMV.

Second, a single PRX718XLF will have about the same output as two of either of the other two you listed.  It will be smaller and lighter (I have moved my 618XLF's by myself several times), will go lower, and will sound better.

If you can find a used PRX618S-XLF (or new), they are equally as good.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

The LS801p's have a top handle and wheels. I wheel them around all the time on my own.

As long as there's no stairs.

Yea but you got trailer to roll them in.  I got 4x4 PU truck which I can't flip and tip into the back of truckbed because sits to high, Awesome subs if you got trialer with ramp to roll them around with. Not practical if your 1 man roadie with 4x4 PU truck and stairs. 

• Members

I've got LS801P's and a pair of LS-720P's. I don't think I'll ever sell those LS-720P's. Love the sound,,, punchy and tight-sounding, with plenty of bottom-end to handle a D'I'd bass,,,and I can easily put a pair in the back seat of my car. For rooms up to 150 or so, they can rock the place pretty darned good.

The LS 801P's are monsters.

• Members

Any thoughts on which would be the best option from the subs I listed?

Also, the JBL PRX618 XLF is bigger, heavier and costs almost double the subs I listed in my OP. I have heard a lot of very positive reviews of the JBL's but think they are going to be both be out of my budget and too heavy to carry by myself.

• Members

OneEng wrote:

First, let me say that I am not a fan of bandpass subs .... or "one note wonder's".  They sound boomy and lack impact to my ear.  YMMV.Second, a single PRX718XLF will have about the same output as two of either of the other two you listed.  It will be smaller and lighter (I have moved my 618XLF's by myself several times), will go lower, and will sound better.  If you can find a used PRX618S-XLF (or new), they are equally as good.

What's a "bandpass sub" ?  I take it the ELX 118P is one?  Which suggests the smaller ZXA!-Sub is also one?  How does it differ from a "real" (??) sub?

-D44

• CMS Author

hammondman wrote:

Any thoughts on which would be the best option from the subs I listed?

Also, the JBL PRX618 XLF is bigger, heavier and costs almost double the subs I listed in my OP. I have heard a lot of very positive reviews of the JBL's but think they are going to be both be out of my budget and too heavy to carry by myself.

Well, as I wrote earlier, I don't have direct experience with the Yorkie or the FBT. I have confidence they are good subs. I've had a day to play around with the ELX-188P. I've only unboxed and set up one so far (NYE party setup, partying, recovery and teardown are getting in the way) but I will say so far, so good. Loud (I'm comparing them with a pair of SR4719X 2x18's with 1000w per side),  good definition, and they do chest thump nicely in a 1000sq ft space.

Portability is suspect, which IMO is very typical of 18" singles. Too short to lean onto a car or truck tailgate, too square-bulky to pick up alone without risking back injury. Too smooth to grab a corner where your hand can reach. There's more to moving things than weight. I'd use a hand truck, and ask for help to quickly lift where necessary.

• Members

hammondman wrote:

I haven't found a Yorkville dealer/distributor in the UK yet but Thomann sell some of the Yorkville stuff. They are generally good at supplying other products from manufactuers that they deal with.

Thanks Hammondman - I had seen the Thomann site selling some of the range, but honestly, I was always a bit concerned about how to deal with any warranty issues if it meant packaging things up to send to Germany. Anyway - will be interested to see where you land with your decision.

Archived