Nexo PS series loudspeakers w/4-channel Nexo amp

• Members

Yesterday, I got to play around with a superb compact speaker set-up from Nexo; the Nexo PS-8 w/matching subs, and powered by the 4 channel Nexo NXamp  amplifier/processor. The tops weigh just under 17 lbs. Good Lord this thing sounded good. System cost, including the 4-ch amp, was $9k, and there's "wiggle room" on that price. The 4ch. amp is not necessary of course, and it was actually borrowed from another Nexo display at the store. The amp goes for $4k. The 12" sub, weighs in at 43 lbs.

http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/product_detail.php?prodID=1058

http://www.yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/product_detail.php?prodID=1038

I also listened to a demo of some much larger Nexo systems as well. Brutal output, and clear as a bell. The 4-channel amps are a bit power-hungry to say the least, with each amp requiring two 30amp circuits.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nexo is one of my favorite brands. They are truly in the realm of pro gear. They do not make anything people would call MI grade. There speakers only reach the printed specs when used with their amps and controllers. A SOS rig of PS15s will do serious work. Nexo is rider friendly at almost any level. I have wanted to buy some for a long time. When I finally got where I could almost get the PS series, they put out the new line and I can't do it. You seldom see a used PS rig for sale because owners are very satisfied with them.

Nexo, Meyer, and a few others live in rarified air...with prices to match of course.

• Members

I think that listening to gear of this caliber, should be a mandatory requirement before people who are getting into "pro-sound" for the first time, are "allowed" to buy gear. That would clean-up the vocabulary of adjectives used to describe many of the M.I.-grade boxes,,,, such as,,,, "the BEST",,, or,,, "AWESOME!!!!!".

The bigger Nexo system that I listened to, was four 15" cabs, over four subs, powered by a few of those 4-channel amps. The subs were apparently cranking out 30Hz with little or no effort. Mid-range clarity and detail were superb, with zero trace of distortion and break-up in the HF's. Quite the system. Price of that rig was just north of $40k.

I also listened to another Nexo rig that appeared to be 12" tops, over what was probably a pair of 15" subs, powered by that same 4-channel amp. The subs were very compact, and yet, they "hit" like a ton of bricks. This rig was quite a bit more powerful than the PS-8 rig, yet still very compact and portable. Again, the mid-range clarity and detail, along with the HF resolution, are remarkable.

• Members

Bobby1Note wrote:

Brutal output, and clear as a bell.

This sums up my experience with NEXO as well.

I really really like the S12 boxes. I don't like their subwoofers though. Phenomenal output and very linear, but incredibly awkward to deploy, handle and transport.

• Members

Mogwix wrote:

Bobby1Note wrote:

Brutal output, and clear as a bell.

This sums up my experience with NEXO as well.

I really really like the S12 boxes. I don't like their subwoofers though. Phenomenal output and very linear, but incredibly awkward to deploy, handle and transport.

Mogwix, I had to laugh when they demo'ed the 12" mains, with 15" subs,,,, there were particles raining down from the showrooms' ceiling tiles.

The great part about listening to a system with this level of linearity is,,, there's little or no distortion, and therefore, no listener fatigue. The high spl didn't bother me a bit, other than the fact that I didn't care for the demo disc. (disco/EDM). I had them play a "live" Diana Krall recording,, and wow.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Bobby, read the data sheet. Max recommended power with controller is 1250 watts, 129-132 dB peak over 300Hz-3000Hz decade. Not recommended without the controller.

So, peak spl, band limited, requires processor to achieve these specs. Not kidding.

It's a very good speaker, good speakers have real world limitations too. What's wrong with that?

• Members

WHICH "Controller"???????

Andy, there's three different "controllers', all with similar sounding names,,,,,the analogue stand-alone controller (processor),,, the digital stand-alone controller,,,,, and the incorporated digital controller in the 2 and 4ch NEXAMPs. I specifically pointed to the fact that NEXO recommends no more than 650 watts to the PS-10 when using another "non-voice-coil-temperature-sensing amp,,, and actually, that recommendation may be for the smaller PS-8. It's been two years since I've looked at the website, and I specifically mentioned that as well.

When I last visited their site, all of the specs that I saw, were "wide-band",,,, not "peak". I was specifically interested in the 4ch. NEXAMP,,, powering a pair of  PS-10's, and a pair of LS-600(?) subs. That same amp/processor  has multiple speaker-selection settings, which includes a power-setting for the larger RS series loudspeakers,,,, and that's where the 4kw/ch amp-rating comes in, iirc.

The one consistentcy here, was that they never "hyped" peak values anywhere in their product literature,,,, quite the opposite actually.

Archived