Seeking Sub Advice again

• Members

A year ago I sought out some advice and it was very helpful.  I seeking some more again as I need a little more than what my low end has to offer. 

My first real subs were a pair of jbl mpro418s.  I really like the way they sound and they hit fairly well for their size.  

I am doing sound for folk rock and jam music mostly.  Some jazz and rock acts as well.  I want to add more low end without breaking the bank.  I am not looking to go into full scale sound production just yet.  Mainly smaller indoor and outdoor shows 0-300 people.  I've used the mp418 and ev elx115 at small close quarters outdoor gig for about 150 people and it was fine but I would like to have more if needed.  Some bigger local acts have been asking me to do sound and I want the bottom end to cover a small-med sized hall.  

I would love to get some big srx728's but the money isn't there and many places don't have the power.

I found a pair of clean mpro418's and was thinking about grabbing them.  if I get these I would be running 4 mpro418's off of a qsc rmx4050hd.  

Keeping a budget in mind, would I be better off grabbing these for $700 or selling what I have and buying something else?  

I have been curious about the Yorkville ls808 and some of their offerrings.  Would 2 ls808's put out more than 4 mp418's?  

Are there any other boxes that would give me more performance than 4 mp418's I am overlooking?

I do like a single 18 box because sometimes I do a really small show and take one sub.  I am not ruling out a 2x18.

• Members

Right guys.  I usually run the pair off the gx7 in stereo.  It does well but there is almost zero damping factor.  The cones can fly around at times at louder volumes which I don't like and I back it down.  I got the 4050hd brand new on clearence for $600 and thought it would work well with two subs per side at 1600-2000 watts @2ohms.  After much research on the it has been said 2 ohms are not an issue with this amp and it will handle the load.  I always run a fan behind my amps for extra airflow.  

I was originally going to hold off buying more subs but when I found this amp I figured it would run 2 mp418's per side fairly well.  Thus the quest for another pair.

I don't abuse my system and try to not to push it too hard.  If I need anything more I'd just rent.  I get good enough thump with 2 mp418's but know I'd really have to push them hard to get more.  Adding 2 more I think would afford me more low end with out blowing things up.  My system work great for small-mid sized places but I start to push the limits at larger events.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

• Members

That sounds reasonable... and responsible. So if I were sants my next Qs for the gurus here would be whether or not one of the QSC's built-in low frequency filters (30Hz or 50Hz) could/should be used? Are they sufficient quality for the job? or Should an external xover w/ exactly a 40Hz setting be used?

Seems like the 30Hz setting would still be putting the subs at risk... and the 50Hz setting would prevent them from hitting as low as they could and limit their effectiveness?

• Members

sants wrote:

Right guys.  I usually run the pair off the gx7 in stereo.  It does well but there is almost zero damping factor.  The cones can fly around at times at louder volumes which I don't like and I back it down.

That's not poor damping factor, that is lack of a proper HPF. I certainly wouldn't depend on the 30 Hz one in that 4050HD - either set it for 50 Hz or use a better crossover. As I said the DBX223 is cheap used and has the correct 40Hz HPF in it.

• Members

One of the things that I love about outdoor shows is that I don't have to have my ears seared off. (I really hate loud and apparently so do nearly everyone else. From my personal experience people would rather sit in the blistering sunshine at 90 dbc than sit or stand in the shade at 115 dbc.) Be careful about adding enough sound to be way too loud. (Of course the volume control goes two ways. but not everyone bothers with the counter-clockwise direction.) Though it would be nice to not stress the system out.

• Members

I'm glad I posted this as I'm misinformed in some areas.

I'm not doing high profile gigs but moderately sized in my area and getting a good rep for it. Just trying to grow my system so I can cover a bit more ground.

It makes total sense now about hpf and thinking it was lack of dampening. I'm definitely going to look into the dbx.

Archived