Al's Yorkville NX300P active speaker review

• Members

Hey guys, here is a link to my first speaker review of 2014. Overall, I was actually surprised at the output and low frequency response of the NX300P, especially considering its 300 watts of power and relatively low price (for a canadian made speaker). The mid and top end were not on par with my Yamaha or RCF cabs in terms of smoothness or crispness unfortunately, but other than that (and the awkward single carry handle) I was impressed overall by the NX300P's performance, low frequency response and how loud it could get before limiting. It is a big speaker, but as an affordable stand alone - full range - single cabinet solution for DJ duty or live sound in small to medium venues, they are an excellent, reliable choice IMO.

Al

• Members

Seems rather pedestrian to me. Understanding driver efficiency is likely on the high side as that's how Yorkville generally rolls , it's really 150W RMS with relatively low output that competes with the likes of speakers such as the EV ZLX-15P. As such it will need to MAP in the $500 range. I've not seen any pricing that I could tell were in US $.

• Members

The NX300P is a very noticeably bigger version of the NX25P with a noticeably more present bottom end. In spite of its low power rating and the so-so sound of the compression driver, I truly was impressed at how loud the speaker got while keeping that strong bottom. Beginner DJs should love these. No doubt the size of the box is a big reason for the big sound, but I swear these things get louder overall than what my NX55Ps could ever do when used full range. Of course my NX55Ps would limit if you looked at them funny . The top end on the NX55P is significantly more detailed / defined however. For a beginner DJ or band on a budget, I feel the NX300Ps would work really well.     

• Members

Thanks for the review Al - I was actually going to bug you to do one :)

I'm curious about how the horn works at concentrating sound (trying not  to say throw!). My observation was that the YX15P's are very good at reaching the back of the room. Conversely I always found that the NX750P's died a relatively short distance from their source. I'm wondering if you have any opinions on how far the NX300P's will "throw" (oops I said it).

Also, volume wise, how do they compare to the YX15P's (I know you'd have to go from memory)? They are pretty close in price and weight - just wondering if you think the NX300P's are worth the extra.

Looking forward to your DSR review. I had a less then favourable time with a pair, but I'm hoping it was just my mood at the time.

• Members

Shaster wrote:

Thanks for the review Al - I was actually going to bug you to do one
:)

I'm curious about how the horn works at concentrating sound (trying not  to say throw!). My observation was that the YX15P's are very good at reaching the back of the room. Conversely I always found that the NX750P's died a relatively short distance from their source. I'm wondering if you have any opinions on how far the NX300P's will "throw" (oops I said it).

Also, volume wise, how do they compare to the YX15P's (I know you'd have to go from memory)? They are pretty close in price and weight - just wondering if you think the NX300P's are worth the extra.

Looking forward to your DSR review. I had a less then favourable time with a pair, but I'm hoping it was just my mood at the time.

I have a pretty good memory of the YX15Ps since I did own them for about 5 years and I am a little obsessed with active speakers and their sound quality/output and comparing them. Here's what I can tell you from the short time I've spent with the NX300P vs YX15P : IMO, the mids and highs on the YX15P sounded more natural and ear friendly than what I heard from the NX300P out of the box. As soon as I plugged the NX300P in, I noticed some fairly strong upper mids (similar to what I heard from the YX10P I tested a few months ago) and a lack of the sweeter stuff up top that shines on the DXR and RCF cabs. That said, NX300P's lower frequencies were more present, even besting my DXR15s if the D-Contour switch was not engaged. As for output capablilty, I did have more difficulty getting the NX300P into limiting than I did the YX15Ps. Whether this is because of the more powerful amplifier module in the NX300P OR a different setting for the limiter, I'm not sure. All I know is that I was pleasantly surprised at how hard the NX300P was to limit compared to my older NX55Ps. I also know that the YX15Ps could be driven into limiting and still get a little louder without sounding too stressed, so maybe Yorkville simply modified the limit light trigger? The YX15P is easier to handle too (the single handle on the NX300P and especially NX750P I will never understand) and the YX15Ps price makes it an outstanding bargain IMO at 425$. For DJ duty where a full bottom is wanted, the NX300P would be favoured by most DJs while the more well balanced sound of the YX15P and better sounding HF driver might be favoured for live sound/vocal applications. I really didn't love the sound of the NX300P's HF driver in my small studio anyway. A little honkiness was present, similar to what I recall hearing from the E10Ps as well. I may just have been spoiled by my RCFs, DXRs and even KX Audio - who's HF drivers are simply heavenly.  :-)

Al

• Members

Shaster wrote:

I've been listening to the DSR112 for most of the day and comparing with my KX12s, DXRs, 310As and even Titan 12As. Using the same music and same speaker position really lets me hear where each speaker stands in terms of sound quality and low frequency response. I realize low frequency response may be irrelevant to many who always use subs, but still - I often use my speakers full range and like to know how low they go and how full they sound. First impressions of the DSR112 : crisp / bright top end out of the box and a punchy but not all that deep low frequency response. Crazy output capability. They DSR112s get louder than my KX12s, but the KX12s have a warmer, slightly deeper sound (bigger wood box maybe?) and I slightly prefer the sound of the KX horn vs the Yamaha's. Both are nice, crisp and detailed though. The KX needs a slight smiley boost to sound its best, but sounds beautiful when dialed in. (the contour button on my Peavey mixer seems to add just the right amount of top end sparkle and deep LF boost to make them shine).

As for the DSR, I've found the HF driver is a little too much out of the box once you crank it up, but at lower volumes it actually seems to bring out the detail / resolution in the music. Quite nice, really.  Like with the DSR115s that I auditioned last year however, I felt the need to dial back the highs a little at higher levels. not hard to do. Other than that, the out of the box sound was truly excellent. Anyway, will post a full review tommorow after more testing.  :-)

A;l  

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Dookietwo wrote:

I've heard the Yorkville Parasource cabs don't really shine until you open them up. You may want to push them ( just a little :-)  ) in your testing.

Dookietwo

Rest assured, I plan on testing them out very well And comparing them to my collection of current powered cabs AND probably taking them out to a gig as well. I will be interested to see how well they compare to the DXR15s, KX Audio KX12s and how much better they are vs. The NX55Ps. When I compared the NX55Ps to the DXR15s, I was impressed that the NX55Ps sounded as good and as deep – they simply had nowhere near the output/headroom that the DXRs had. With the claimed 4400 watts (peak) in the Parasource, the PS-12Ps should come much closer to the DXR15s in spite of being a 12`` box. I’m thinking performance similar to RCF’s HD12A – which I’ve read compares favourably to DXR15 used full range. I asked Yorkville for details about transducers used in the Parasource, but haven’t received an answer. The PS-12P is heavy at 60lbs (like my KX12s), but they are still plastic boxes, unlike the baltic birch my KX Audios are made of. I’m thinking the Parasource might have shaved a few pounds by having neo in these cabs – and they probably should be loaded with neo  given their high price (kind of like the DSRs). Will let everyone know when I receive them.

Al   

Archived