Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audiopile speakers

nice looking stuff. $190!! 

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Speakers/DUS_X-12/DUS_X-12_cutsheet.shtml

Anyone have one of these? Mark, care to enlighten us about these cabs?

They are styled a lot like EV QRx. Great price. Looks like they compare favorably with the EV Elx12

Comment

I heard them at Andy's and they are remarkable for the price, even at twice the price they're still a good buy. If you buy some, get the tuning sheet it makes quite a difference.

Comment

• Dogoth
        Dogoth commented
        Editing a comment

Tomm Williams wrote:
        I heard them at Andy's and they are remarkable for the price, even at twice the price they're still a good buy. If you buy some, get the tuning sheet it makes quite a difference.

I heard them at the same time. Agreed they are really nice and priced right too. With minimal EQing they sound great (we're talking a db or two here or there). Even with no EQ they are a nice sounding box. If I was in the market, I'd consider them for sure.

Doesn't take much, pretty efficient and not really big power handling. Powered off of a QSC rmx1450 or 1850hd is fine. With the appropriate hpf, the rmx-2450 would also be ok with a little caution.

Comment

• Koopdaddy
        Koopdaddy commented
        Editing a comment

And would they work as "rock band" monitors or more for acoustic/vocal only?

That's difficult to answer, I don't recall any sensitivity ratings or wattage but Andy turned them up way louder than I would want a monitor and they sounded very good. I think they could perform well beyond an acoustic act. And the 12" version sounded best to me.

Comment

I think pretty good for rock monitors, about 8-9 dB less max SPL than an srx712m

Comment

• Dogoth
          Dogoth commented
          Editing a comment

agedhorse wrote:
          I think pretty good for rock monitors, about 8-9 dB less max SPL than an srx712m

And from what I remember about 3db more efficiency than the srx712m. More spl per watt but be careful about that top spl figure. The srx boxes aren't overly efficient but they will take insane amounts of power. For folks on a budget Audiopile's speakers will also save $$$ you in buying watts (and if you really drove them to that top spl figure you'd be deaf soon anyway - they'll get plenty loud :-). They are also overall a great sounding speaker (with minor EQing, rivaling the srx at everything other than ear bleed volume for about 1/6th the cost)

Pretty amazing quality at that price!

Great job!

How in the world are you making any money on that box at that price point?

Comment

• Audiopile
          Audiopile commented
          Editing a comment

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

How in the world are you making any money on that box at that price point? 

While I won't comment on that directly, I'll say that in my opinion:  "The best way to sell something is to sell it."

And in my experience, there's two primary methods of selling something:

1)  Saturation advertising, or:

2)  Price it stupidly right to get it out there and let the product sell itself via users and word of mouth.

Saturation advertising that works costs real money, which somehow must be paid for... usually by the end user who "bought the advertising".

I do believe that word of mouth advertising can be viable.  I'll let the market decide.

What amps?

Comment

• abzurd
          abzurd commented
          Editing a comment

dedmeet wrote:

Dangit, he would run those on sale when I don't have any $.  I do sound for a roller derby league and a few inexpensive and rugged wedges would be just the thing to round out my setup.

Roller derby?! That's awesome. I always picture Rollerball

rollerball

Attached Files

• Fiveafterfour
          Fiveafterfour commented
          Editing a comment
          If only it were...

Sadly, our main local league (yes, there are 2-3 in our city) is flat track skating, so no cycles...

• dedmeet
          dedmeet commented
          Editing a comment

Yeah, same here, women's flat track derby in the local fairgrounds.  The venue is an acoustic nightmare with an RT60 measured in days.  I wind up deploying many cabs close to the audience and keeping the sound mostly off the track area.  Any cabs must be able to tolerate heat, humidity, and occasional sloppy beer.  Hence, my thought that a brace of DUS cabs would be perfect.

I think it's great they made the effort to provide tunings at all even if more info could have been provided. I can't stress enough for those considering these cabs, you get a tremendous amount for the money.

Comment

• abzurd
          abzurd commented
          Editing a comment

Just a heads up. I'm out on the site buying a CU series mixer rack and some other odds and ends and noticed all the DUS stuff is now marked "January Clearance Featured Item".

Mark, the title is confusing. Is it simply a temporary discount (aka a SALE) or does it mean you're selling current stock and discontinuing?

Working...
      X