New portable "line array" from FBT (Vertus)

• Members

FBT Vertus

Tops - CLA604A - MAP = $999

Subs - CLA208Sa MAP = $899

I doubt anyone actually has experience with this and I can only find one online retailer. Anyway, it looks like an FOH "BOSE on steriods" column type array. Not too expensive, modular so you can stack the 44 lb subs and connect the tops together. From a presentation perspective would be very nice look for weddings and corporate events.

Like any other European manufacturer, good luck finding any to audition though.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a quick update. This thing is just too darn tempting and I have to hear it for myself... so.... I have a sub and top headed my way and am hoping for Friday delivery so I can try it out in the room we're in on NYE (not for the gig, but just to A/B against one of my current stacks before the gig). It's a country club gig and similar to the larger rooms we'd use it in. The deal is if I like it I'll order a matching pair. If not I'm just out the shipping back.

• Members

Just a quick update. This thing is just too darn tempting and I have to hear it for myself... so.... I have a sub and top headed my way and am hoping for Friday delivery so I can try it out in the room we're in on NYE (not for the gig, but just to A/B against one of my current stacks before the gig). It's a country club gig and similar to the larger rooms we'd use it in. The deal is if I like it I'll order a matching pair. If not I'm just out the shipping back.

• Members

... Abzurd has gas "G"ear "A"quisition "S"yndrome.

I am interested to hear how they sound. Is this something like the Bose system?

From the specs: http://www.fbt.it/ENG/PAE/PRODOTTI/L...-PAE-ENG-2.pdf

It doesn't seem like these would be able to keep up with your current 522's ... but then, specs can be quite deceiving!

Have you ever had the chance to try out our 522's over PRX618S-XLF's?

• Members

It doesn't seem like these would be able to keep up with your current 522's ... but then, specs can be quite deceiving!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OneEng View Post

I actually am getting these from the dealer that sold me the 522A's in 2008. He's been an FBT and RCF dealer for several years. The ones he's sending me are "open box" from a drum clinic they did recently. He said when I first see it I'll think "there's no way", but that I'll be pleasantly surprised when I turn it on.

I'm very happy with my current setup sound wise, but the clean lines, wider coverage, and ridiculous portability have me pretty intrigued.

As for the PRX subs, yes, I brought my StudioLive, RCF subs and tops to a local dealer and A/B'd them. Although I liked the subs better than what I had, I wasn't blown away by the difference, which means to me that nobody else would notice or care. The size difference was substantial too and my trailer pack is perfect with what I have, but anything bigger would be problematic.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OneEng View Post

I actually am getting these from the dealer that sold me the 522A's in 2008. He's been an FBT and RCF dealer for several years. The ones he's sending me are "open box" from a drum clinic they did recently. He said when I first see it I'll think "there's no way", but that I'll be pleasantly surprised when I turn it on.

I'm very happy with my current setup sound wise, but the clean lines, wider coverage, and ridiculous portability have me pretty intrigued.

As for the PRX subs, yes, I brought my StudioLive, RCF subs and tops to a local dealer and A/B'd them. Although I liked the subs better than what I had, I wasn't blown away by the difference, which means to me that nobody else would notice or care. The size difference was substantial too and my trailer pack is perfect with what I have, but anything bigger would be problematic.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dookietwo View Post
Do you feel you can get by with a 122 db continuous box? Or will this fit for the intended shows?
Of course photos are a must!

Dookietwo
That's a loaded question. Yes, if it really has "line array" properties it will work. It may not be as loud standing right next to it, but hopefully throw well. It doesn't so much matter, especially with a top box, how loud it from a meter away. I'm looking for something that's balanced nicely through the room and at a level that's "appropriately loud". I'm not looking to be the band that makes people nauseous with gut wrenching lows and I don't want ears ringing either. I also get that not everyone is there to see us. I just want people happy, be it on the dance floor or 20 ft away from it talking with friends.

Also, with weddings there's always a table positioned very close to a speaker stack so it's a trade off of too loud for the near field folks and not loud enough for the those far away. I'm basically looking to have my cake and eat it too with the benefits of a distributed system for dinner music and speeches with the capabilities for a live dance band. I'm cautiously optimistic I guess. Probably because if I don't like it I'm out $100 to ship it back.

Barring weather delays it looks like I'll have it tomorrow so will be able to give it an A/B test with an RCF stack in a banquet room on NYE.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dookietwo View Post
Do you feel you can get by with a 122 db continuous box? Or will this fit for the intended shows?
Of course photos are a must!

Dookietwo
That's a loaded question. Yes, if it really has "line array" properties it will work. It may not be as loud standing right next to it, but hopefully throw well. It doesn't so much matter, especially with a top box, how loud it from a meter away. I'm looking for something that's balanced nicely through the room and at a level that's "appropriately loud". I'm not looking to be the band that makes people nauseous with gut wrenching lows and I don't want ears ringing either. I also get that not everyone is there to see us. I just want people happy, be it on the dance floor or 20 ft away from it talking with friends.

Also, with weddings there's always a table positioned very close to a speaker stack so it's a trade off of too loud for the near field folks and not loud enough for the those far away. I'm basically looking to have my cake and eat it too with the benefits of a distributed system for dinner music and speeches with the capabilities for a live dance band. I'm cautiously optimistic I guess. Probably because if I don't like it I'm out $100 to ship it back.

Barring weather delays it looks like I'll have it tomorrow so will be able to give it an A/B test with an RCF stack in a banquet room on NYE.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pater Familias View Post
What kind of price-point is this system on the street?

Also, how does it differ from the Bose L1 system?
I can't post the prices publicly, but it's no secret what discounts off of MAP are typical. That said, these are new and scarce so there's no need to heavily discount. From what I can tell there are 4 tops and 4 subs for sale in the country and I bought 2 of them. So there's not much supply or demand at this point. The line just started selling in October.

As for how they are different than Bose. It's the same philosophy I guess as far as the whole "line array" thing, but these are FOH speakers and put out usable FOH SPL and actual subwoofer frequencies whereas the Bose "bass module" is a shoebox that doesn't do real low frequencies. Does it really do this? I guess I'll know tomorrow.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pater Familias View Post
What kind of price-point is this system on the street?

Also, how does it differ from the Bose L1 system?
I can't post the prices publicly, but it's no secret what discounts off of MAP are typical. That said, these are new and scarce so there's no need to heavily discount. From what I can tell there are 4 tops and 4 subs for sale in the country and I bought 2 of them. So there's not much supply or demand at this point. The line just started selling in October.

As for how they are different than Bose. It's the same philosophy I guess as far as the whole "line array" thing, but these are FOH speakers and put out usable FOH SPL and actual subwoofer frequencies whereas the Bose "bass module" is a shoebox that doesn't do real low frequencies. Does it really do this? I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Archived