Thoughts on RCF HD32A

• Members

On my quest for a better 12" box I spent some time talking to dealers about the RCF offerings. The HD12A look good as does its bigger brother the HD32a. (in Australia) the HD12A is close to the price of a PRX612, no price on the HD32a yet but it will obviously be more expensive.

The spec's on the compression driver in the HD32a are 2" with a 3" voice coil. It crosses over at 800hz The 3 in HD32a stands for the 3" voice coil the 2 stands for the 12" woofer (those crazy Italians) and its got a 600 watt amp. These would be well within my budget and probably something I can order in to try.

From talking to a few places today it sounds like the ART 422 would be a match (maybe even better) for the PRX612 - so I imagine the HD32a with more power and a larger compression driver (than the PRX612) should be a step up.

Any thoughts?

• Members

I'm pretty sure the ART 422 (and ART 722) has a 1.4" exit driver and should outperform a PRX612. IME a 1.4" driver is optimum for a 12" two way cab. On the 10" two way cabs I think a 1" exit driver is fine as a 10" LF driver goes a bit higher and has a bit less output than a 12" (assuming all else equal).

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

I'm pretty sure the ART 422 (and ART 722) has a 1.4" exit driver and should outperform a PRX612. IME a 1.4" driver is optimum for a 12" two way cab. On the 10" two way cabs I think a 1" exit driver is fine as a 10" LF driver goes a bit higher and has a bit less output than a 12" (assuming all else equal).

Thanks RR. I am tempted to try the ART 422 as the pricing is pretty good on them at the moment (though i think the HD 32A looks better).

I am confused by their spec's they say:

2" Neodymium, high frequency driver, 2.5" voice coil. Does that mean it has a 2" exit driver?

The spec's for a PRX612 says it has a 1.5" annular polymer diaphram, neodymium compression driver. 

Does exit driver = diaphram?

Cheers

• Members

First of all, driver designed for a 2" exit can also be used for 1 4" if the output structure contains the proper phase compensation elements.

Second, in a powered box or one with dsp applied, good quality large format drivers can achieve very flat response close to 20khz. It's not easy though.

• Members

The HD32A is new speaker; I am not sure on when RCF is shipping them out. They like to announce speakers and then 2-4 months later ship them out to the retailers.

I have the HD12A, IF it is the same 12" driver in both boxes; I don't see the benefit of the larger horn driver in the HD32A. I think the speaker is very well balanced and gets pretty freak-in loud.  They have done everything I have asked them to do.  Also buy the RCF bag cases for these, they're worth it.

Also, before I bought the HD12A I compared them with the QSC KW12, JBL PRX612M, Mackie HD1221... I came home with the HD12A.

Archived