JBL PRX700 series vs Yamaha DXR15?

• Members

Both are high quality, high output full range powered cabs. The PRX does have better quality transducers and likely gets a little louder, but is also more expensive.

Other than the fragile finish, I only have good things to say about my DXR15s (I just got covers for them) and have only seen the limit lights blink a few times (at really high levels) since I

• Members

What are your plans for using them?  The DXR line is very nice and gives a lot of value for the money.  I do agree that if money is no object than the DSR and JBL 700 series are a step up in output and a nicer cabinet.  For me what I am doing (smaller stuff) the DXR will do just fine and just seriously reduced my load out.  If you think you will be doing bigger shows I think you should buy the best and highest output speaker you can.

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be using them for live sound. At the moment I have a pair of DXR15's and EV ELX118p subs which work great but I'm always looking at ways of improving my setup and ideally want something lighter and possibly louder.

The DXR15's have been particularly impressive as I've not actually had the clip light come on once yet and I'm driving them hard on some gigs. They also sound great with full band (inc. V-Drums and Bass) though just them on smaller gigs. However, I'm starting to get back problems and would now like something more portable that is at least as capable as the DXR15's (a step up would be even better) but weigh less.

The PRX715 is is only 1kg lighter than the DXR15 but the PRX712 is 3kg lighter. Normally 12" speakers don't put out as much bottom end as 15" speakers but the specs on paper for the PRX712 certainly look extremely impressive! However, in real world useage this could be a very different story!?

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Same question but for the DSR series.

I have been using PRX612's and I really do like them and have had good results. However, I am selling my SRX system that I use for bigger shows and I figured I could use some of the money to upgrade them. (Gonna miss it but not using it enough)

I was thinking of getting a couple of Yamaha DSR112's to replace the PRX612's and continue using my PRX718xlf's with them. I cannot justify going to RCF TT's or similar although I would LOVE to have the opportunity - just too expensive for my needs.

I have not been able to hear the Yammy DSR cabs myself but according to everything I have read, from some very reliable sources, they could be a good cost effective upgrade for me - although maybe only a slight upgrade I realize. I have found the PRX718xlf's to be very efficient and a great compromise of weight, price and quality so I could perhaps benefit from the slightly better SPL of the Yamaha's.

So I would be interested to hear of anyone who has actually compared PRX to DSR.

BTW… I am big JBL fan and have had fantastic service all these years so this would be quite a change for me in this price bracket.

• Members

I have been using PRX612's and I really do like them and have had good results. However, I am selling my SRX system that I use for bigger shows and I figured I could use some of the money to upgrade them. (Gonna miss it but not using it enough)

I was thinking of getting a couple of Yamaha DSR112's to replace the PRX612's and continue using my PRX718xlf's with them. I cannot justify going to RCF TT's or similar although I would LOVE to have the opportunity - just too expensive for my needs.

I have not been able to hear the Yammy DSR cabs myself but according to everything I have read, from some very reliable sources, they could be a good cost effective upgrade for me - although maybe only a slight upgrade I realize. I have found the PRX718xlf's to be very efficient and a great compromise of weight, price and quality so I could perhaps benefit from the slightly better SPL of the Yamaha's.

So I would be interested to hear of anyone who has actually compared PRX to DSR.

BTW… I am big JBL fan and have had fantastic service all these years so this would be quite a change for me in this price bracket.

If it's an upgrade at all, it wouldn't be much of one. There are boxes that would be an upgrade and fall under the RCF TT . RCF, FBT and EV all have offerings around the $1500 range.

• Members

The DSR112 will go louder than the PRX612. This is primarily noticeable on the bottom end. The DSR also seems cleaner sounding to my ear.

I A/B'd these two speakers with vocals, acoustic guitar, and various recorded music.

Both sound good and stayed sounding good clear into limit.

I had seperate channel strips for each set of speakers so I could modify the eq to my taste. I made each speaker sound as good as I could using a 4 band PEQ on a SL16.4.2.

FYI, I also had the K12 and KW122 in the fray as well.

I ran the speakers stand alone, and over subs. I ran them at moderate volume all the way to clip.

The differences in the two speakers were larger stand alone. When over subs, the increased impact of the low mids was the only real differentiating characteristic that was easily audible. That was what really won me over to using the DSR over the PRX.

I really wanted to love the PRX more because I had already decided on the PRX618S-XLF for my subs. A matched pair would have looked much nicer. The 612 was quite a bit lighter than the DSR as well and it has the angled pole mount that the DSR lacks as well.

In the end, I couldn't get over the sonic difference I could hear between the two speakers and went with the one I liked better despite it breaking up my matched pair.

As a side note, the SRX speakers are one of my all time favorites. I did a side by side with an SRX715 that was in the store. The horn is smoother on the SRX than the DSR, but the surprise for me was that the low mids on the SRX715 did not blow the DSR112 away as I expected it to. I'll give it the edge, but then one would expect a 15" to have better low mids than a 12".

I actually struggled with the idea of just getting an SRX rig myself. Since my design goal was to lighten my load in/out from my folded horns and 15" 3-way tops, I gave up and went with the DSR112's over the PRX618S-XLF's.

I have to tell you, I have been very pleased with this combination. It is a really good sounding FOH rig. There well may be better sounding rigs out there for more money, but this one is pretty darned good sounding.

I would recommend you go hear them yourself if possible.

• Members

The DSR112 will go louder than the PRX612. This is primarily noticeable on the bottom end. The DSR also seems cleaner sounding to my ear.

I A/B'd these two speakers with vocals, acoustic guitar, and various recorded music.

Both sound good and stayed sounding good clear into limit.

I had seperate channel strips for each set of speakers so I could modify the eq to my taste. I made each speaker sound as good as I could using a 4 band PEQ on a SL16.4.2.

FYI, I also had the K12 and KW122 in the fray as well.

I ran the speakers stand alone, and over subs. I ran them at moderate volume all the way to clip.

The differences in the two speakers were larger stand alone. When over subs, the increased impact of the low mids was the only real differentiating characteristic that was easily audible. That was what really won me over to using the DSR over the PRX.

I really wanted to love the PRX more because I had already decided on the PRX618S-XLF for my subs. A matched pair would have looked much nicer. The 612 was quite a bit lighter than the DSR as well and it has the angled pole mount that the DSR lacks as well.

In the end, I couldn't get over the sonic difference I could hear between the two speakers and went with the one I liked better despite it breaking up my matched pair.

As a side note, the SRX speakers are one of my all time favorites. I did a side by side with an SRX715 that was in the store. The horn is smoother on the SRX than the DSR, but the surprise for me was that the low mids on the SRX715 did not blow the DSR112 away as I expected it to. I'll give it the edge, but then one would expect a 15" to have better low mids than a 12".

I actually struggled with the idea of just getting an SRX rig myself. Since my design goal was to lighten my load in/out from my folded horns and 15" 3-way tops, I gave up and went with the DSR112's over the PRX618S-XLF's.

I have to tell you, I have been very pleased with this combination. It is a really good sounding FOH rig. There well may be better sounding rigs out there for more money, but this one is pretty darned good sounding.

I would recommend you go hear them yourself if possible.

Thanks OneEng….

Although I LOVE the sound of my SRX rig and the weight of the boxes, my reasons for selling are:

1) Set up/break down time,

2) Carrying, transporting and wiring in the amp rack,

3) I find myself using the powered system more and more, and

4) I have a lot of money tied up in it which could be spent on other toys!

One last thing is that when I purchased the SRX rig I chose SRX715's so I could scale it down and run without subs. However, I wish I had gone with the 712's because I feel they are punchier for vocals and I have NEVER NOT used the subs anyway!! This is the reason why I went with the PRX612's when I was choosing powered tops and I am pleased I did. I also A/B'd the PRX boxes against K12's and preferred the JBL's.

I just feel I want a bit more SPL and something with a bit smoother response - especially in the higher frequencies.

I was hoping to find a couple (or 4) of powered tops that would bridge the gap a bit between the PRX612's and the SRX quality for me but not spend more than $1600 per box.

All the pro touring boxes are so expensive and I simply cannot justify spending the money.

So the Yamahas (on paper) seemed closest to fulfilling my needs and I am also interested in the new ETX range. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money and have it make so very little difference in sound - it isn't worth it.

I'd buy used if I could trust the source but I'm not taking any chances with anyone on ebay or CL so I am stuck with paying new prices.

Anyway….as you have suggested I will attempt to try some DSR cabs out if I can find some locally.

If anyone can give some feedback on the ETX line, I'd love to hear it.

• Members

I haven't heard the new ETX speakers, but they do look very interesting! I won't be in the market for any new speakers for some time (maybe never), but if I were, these would be on my short list of ones to try.

The rumor is that the sub has more output than the XLF. I would be tempted to go with the entire system except that I am conservative and would like to see how they hold up out in the wild first.

The DSR112 is built like a tank and has taken abuse that really should have damaged it. It is possible that the ETX speakers will also be very durable. From the specs, the ETX 12P weighs in a 52 lbs. It is even a bit heavier than the DSR112 .... which is already heavier than the 712m.

I would appreciate your thoughts when you get the chance to hear these speakers.

• Members

I own the PRX series ... I had a single 618 xlf sub - sold it and bought 2 x 715xlf subs and I love them. I was also going to sell my 2 x 612's and buy 2 x 710's but to my ears they sounded about the same and the 10's weighed the same as my 12's. And on small gigs I can just take the 2 12's and I have enough bottom end.

• Members
I own the PRX series ... I had a single 618 xlf sub - sold it and bought 2 x 715xlf subs and I love them. I was also going to sell my 2 x 612's and buy 2 x 710's but to my ears they sounded about the same and the 10's weighed the same as my 12's. And on small gigs I can just take the 2 12's and I have enough bottom end.

May I ask how much of a difference you noticed between the 715XLF's vs 618XLF's? You said you love them, is because of size only? How do the two models compare in your experience? Thank you for the post.

• Members

Ok - I was told I would notice a significant difference and loss of low frequencies going from the 18 to 15's by many here and they were right , However I noticed a low end punch and tightness increase that I don't think you get from an 18. In my opinion anyway, you feel and 18 but hear a 15 ... (probably many will argue that point) Now the single 18 weighed just under 100 lbs and the 2 x 15's weigh the same in total weight. I just like the sound of the 15's... I like the size ... I like the weight ... I just rally like them.

• Members
I want to add that I'm not saying you don't feel the low end of the 15's because you do ...but the 18's shook and rumbled the dance floor - the average age that come to hear us is over 60 ' date=' so shaking them isn't really a good idea anyway.[/quote']

Thanks for sharing!

• Members
Ok - I was told I would notice a significant difference and loss of low frequencies going from the 18 to 15's by many here and they were right ' date=' However I noticed a low end punch and tightness increase that I don't think you get from an 18. In my opinion anyway, you feel and 18 but hear a 15 ... (probably many will argue that point) Now the single 18 weighed just under 100 lbs and the 2 x 15's weigh the same in total weight. I just like the sound of the 15's... I like the size ... I like the weight ... I just rally like them.[/quote']

That's good to know. At one time I was interested in getting a couple of the PRX715xlf's but I was worried I would lose too much low end so I chose the 718's. It sounds like they could work really well in the smaller venues we play.

BTW… the specs show that the PRX618xlf is only 81.5lbs - still a good few pounds more than the 715xlf at 56 lbs but not twice the weight - just saying for clarification purposes.

Archived