QSC TouchMix

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

The surface looks suspiciously similar in size to the iPad. I guess it's not all that costly to incorporate the interface rather than require a 3rd party device.

Now to see if the thing actually goes to market, and whether it works. This is not meant as sarcasm or a knock, I'm genuinely concerned following my experience trying to obtain other QSC gear.

• Members

Craig Vecchione wrote:

The surface looks suspiciously similar in size to the iPad.

It looks about 7" to me (eyeballed against the 14" width in the specs) vs the iPad's 10" - but I use an iPad mini with the DL1608 so I'm not worried about it. Anyways 7" Android tablets are super cheap these days so I suspect it's just those components being used. Kinda sad they didn't go for recallable headamps, not gonna fly against the X32 family. We're supposed to see the new iX16 in a couple days, maybe it will have a fixed display also smile.gif - it's original iPad shelf with no dock was kinda sad too.

• Members

Wow I'm in the market for a digital mixer, Billesc gave me a good price on a brand new x32 but my wife told me to wait for the namm show to see what's gonna be (I told her what the namm show), just why is always the sabe to use an ipad? I don't have one or use one, I'm an android person, pc, I don't need an ipad of an apple thing, they are way overprice, why not manufacturers don't focus on Android os instead apple? There are more Android users poder the whole world than apple (my guess, cause it's cheap and the Android os works and is getting better thru time), if I want to get one of the 16 ch, i'll have to get the apple thing to control it wireless, is it apple that's paying some money for the manufacturers just to make them compatible with their products? Or what? It really looks awesome, just the apple thing that made me go hmmmm

• Members

Wow.  Lots to be excited about with this mixer.

1. 8 DCA's
  2. 8 Mute groups
  3. Integrated touch screen
  4. IEM direct drive from outputs
  5. Integrated multi-track recording directly to USB3.0 external hard disk
  6. Integrated WiFi adapter
  7. Integrated pitch corrector

This has the specs to be a DL1608 killer ...... and has a compelling arguement against even the X32 Rack.

I am interested to hear how the efx sound and how well the pitch corrector works.  I hope they can bring this product to market.  This is impressive so far .... at least from what I was able to read.

EDIT .... it looks like the head amps are not recallable :(

• Members

Maybe it's true digitalsound about the ipad vs Android, let's not forget that Apple is the only maker for the ipad, however? The manufacturer could associated with eg., samsung to make the apps running into their devices and proof that it would work on this exclusive device, not an iguanapad(is a brand of tablets over here), just the ones the manufacturer approve, because it got the processor, memory, screen, a bunch of things,

• CMS Author

JV90 wrote:

Maybe it's true digitalsound about the ipad vs Android, let's not forget that Apple is the only maker for the ipad, however? The manufacturer could associated with eg., samsung to make the apps running into their devices and proof that it would work on this exclusive device, not an iguanapad(is a brand of tablets over here), just the ones the manufacturer approve, because it got the processor, memory, screen, a bunch of things,

There are a lot of problems with using third party anything (even electronic components, witness Peavey's issues getting their gear to market) but even moreso, hitching your proverbial wagon to someone else's horse when it comes to tablets. Just look at the market since the iPad was released. Apple had a firm hold while the market watched to see if it caught on. It did, and everyone else is roaring up the track to meet Apple. If history (read: Sony) teaches us anything (Betamax? hello...) it's that nobody owns the technology market for long.

The iPad is a relatively easy target for digital mixers..it's popular, and the size, shape and connectivity have been *relatively* stable. So making something it docks to wasn't all that bad, compared with trying to dock a mixer to any two generations of almost any Andriod device. And even for those that were physically stable between updated models, which maker do you hitch your wagon to? It wouldn't be the first time a company dropped completey out of a market segment when sales didn't meet expectations.

• Members

I just tried this at NAMM show. Pretty good move to this wireless digital trend, usb record/playback is a big win. Now I will just jump to highlights:

1: The embedded touch screen is so bad compare to the iPad multitouch screen. It has low resolution, big delay and get too hot to touch if it's running for too long. The delay of the touch screen + the slowness of the UI system made everything not responsive. For example, I tapped settings, and after 2 seconds the settings screen shows up... I would rather have it no screen, iPad is a much better remote control.

2: The embeddd controls are great, but the best combination I could think of is have an assignable fader and a knob. For example, people can leave it as the master output just in case something goes wrong that you need to respond with physical speed.

3: The audio quality? Appearent I cannot verify that from the show, but I doubt the quality of micpres they are using compare to Mackie.

Anyway, I wish some company can come up with something best in this new wireless digital mixer trend.

• Members

I'm sure the mic pres are just fine. All the boutique marketing banter of the pres from companies is just fluff. On the other hand, the lackluster screen could be a real problem. At that price point I predicted corners were probably cut there. Like the ipad or not, once you're used to the responsiveness those spongy plastic coated screens just don't cut it (which I'm assuming it is). If the lag is as bad as you say they have a problem on their hands.

• Members

I have another idea:

Companies like Mackie and QSC should develop bluetooh accessory for iOS devices, such as some fader/knob/buttons. Works just like a bluetooth keyboard or game controller for iPad, but it gives some flexible physical feel to these wireless mixers :)

• Members

cxhawk wrote:

I just tried this at NAMM show. Pretty good move to this wireless digital trend, usb record/playback is a big win. Now I will just jump to highlights:

1: The embedded touch screen is so bad compare to the iPad multitouch screen. It has low resolution, big delay and get too hot to touch if it's running for too long. The delay of the touch screen + the slowness of the UI system made everything not responsive. For example, I tapped settings, and after 2 seconds the settings screen shows up... I would rather have it no screen, iPad is a much better remote control.

iPad is a better remote control, but personally I prefer a digital mixer that still works 100% in standalone mode, where the iPad is an accessory and not a critical component like the DL1608, where you're tied up with Apple's hardware and OS upgrade cycles. I think that's where QSC is hitting a sweet spot in the market with this design. iPad optional remote, and it still works without the iPad. 

On the other hand... that doesn't sound good about the touch screen. In an iPad-dominated world, it's not a good idea to offer something too far away from the responsiveness of an iPad, or similar screens that are popping up everywhere. Even my desktop printer has a touchscreen now, with no obvious delays in responsiveness. I don't care about resolution; I can handle something less than "retina" quality, but it has to respond quickly.

Let's hope it's still a beta version of the firmware and hardware, and the final product will respond better. I don't think this mixer can survive too many bad reviews of the touch screen.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Thought I'd resurrect an old thread rather than start anew.

Bot this a month ago; used it for 4 shows so far.

Steep learning curve but once you "get it", this thing is amazing. The presets are great places to start and after about 2 hours you can sound like an expert.

Advantages:

Replaces everything in your rack; setup time decreases dramatically

Saved scenes allow you to play the same clubs with the same settings

Easy to work with once you learn it

Individual monitor mixes for everybody!

Disadvantages:

Cost?

Its basically a computer, maybe power surges cause problems (I haven't experienced any yet)

I highly recommend this for gigging bands!

Has anyone recorded a show yet? Can I download it easily to a DAW?

• Members

I did pretty good research before I bought a remote stage digital mixer , I looked at the QSC , I though some things were cool but it is over priced and has some inferior ways of doing things. Don't like the built in screen , I went with the Behringer XR18 almost half the price and more features , If i needed a connected screen surface I would have gone with the Behringer Xair X18

• Members
I did pretty good research before I bought a remote stage digital mixer ' date=' I looked at the QSC , I though some things were cool but it is over priced and has some inferior ways of doing things. Don't like the built in screen , I went with the Behringer XR18 almost half the price and more features , If i needed a connected screen surface I would have gone with the Behringer Xair X18 [/quote']

None of the XAir series has a connected screen surface. All of them require an external device (tablet, phone, PC) to control the mixer.

Archived