My X32 Liveblog Review

• Members

This week, I'm teching a musical which opens Friday and runs for a month. I rented a full sized X32, which I hadn't used before, because I wanted to get some time on it and see if I could advise it as a purchase/rental for others.

I'll post my initial impressions here, and then other things in subsequent posts as they come up. I haven't read the other X32 thread, so I don't know if these things have been mentioned over there. 

First thing I noticed was that in their last firmware update (in July), they moved the place where you edit the scribble strip info but didn't bother to update the manual. It was fun wasting time trying to figure that out.

Second, I'm not a big fan of the sound of the eq's. I threw on my usual system-tuning music (Dream Theater's Awake) and started poking away at the eq on the main outputs. Right away, I heard the swishy resonant wah-wah effect I typically hear on cheap eq's. I absolutely hate that.

The UI on the eq's took some figuring out, but once I got what they were doing, it made sense. 

-Dan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Dan,

That thread is really long so perhaps you missed the cure which is buried in there. The use of ethercon connectors and shielded twisted pair cable fixes the problem. Ther are still complaints that you have to use more expensive cable on a value mixer.

• Members

OneEng wrote:

Dan,

That thread is really long so perhaps you missed the cure which is buried in there. The use of ethercon connectors and shielded twisted pair cable fixes the problem. Ther are still complaints that you have to use more expensive cable on a value mixer.

It fixed the problem for some people; for others, it did not. The snakes I'm using are shielded and have ethercons.

I'm not sure I'm having the exact same problem they are. I'm not getting the dropped signal - at least as far as I've been able to notice (only the band is patched into the S16 and they're not playing all the time). I've only noticed the loud pop, so I'm wondering if my problem is different, but related.

-Dan.

Archived