Board Effects On/Off Footswtich - Momentary or Latching?

• Members

I purchased a Soundcraft MFXi 12/2 board several years ago and it's just been sitting around. My small Yamaha mixer is at end-of-life so I'm going to start using the Soundcraft MFXi mixer. In order to turn the on-board effects on/off, the Soundcraft manual says I should use a "single pole momentary footswitch." I'm not certain but i think that means a non-latching footswitch - is that correct? And when I look at something like Hosa momentary footswitches - http://hosatech.com/product/fsc-500/ - they show two non-latching models; one which is normally closed and one which is normally open. If I'm correct about the non-latching footswitch, does it matter if I get one which is normally open versus normally closed? I don't think it will since I'm just looking to turn the board effects on/off, but maybe there's something quirky. Thank you for your help and for any recommendations you may make.

Normally open is the most common type of switch that's used for that, but unless you know for sure, you're probably better off opting for a footswitch that has the ability to work as normally open or normally closed like the one that trevcda suggested since it will be compatible with just about everything.

• Members

Thanks, guys! I don't know why I didn't do it earlier, but I tried my Yamaha FC5 footswitch with the Soundcraft board and it worked like a charm. A little research revealed it's a "normally closed" footswitch. At the end of the day I don't think it really matters. You plug it in; if it's normally open, the effect stays on; if it's normally closed, the effects turn off and you push it to turn them back on. Not a big deal. So anyway, I went on eBay and found a music dealer in Ohio who is selling off a bunch of NOS and picked up brand-new Hosa FSC-503 momentary footswitch (normally closed) for $12.70 which included shipping. Just tested it and it works like a charm. I needed a longer cord so I had to replace my Yamaha.

Archived