Wireless mic system / Digital wireless mic system recommendations???

• Members

Greetings, all. I haven’t been on this board for several years. It’s nice to see many of the very helpful experts are still around giving great advice to those in need.

I’m in the market for a new wireless microphone system. My band plays weddings, corporate events, some outdoor summer festivals, and some small clubs. I’m a drummer who provides all the PA gear and lighting, and I do some DJ work as well. I don’t sing. We have a female lead vocalist.

For many years I’ve had a couple Line 6 XDR955 digital wireless systems. In my opinion they’re crystal clear and have a fantastic range, but they have a very wide pickup pattern. Consequently, when we’re on a small, tight stage, there’s a great deal of instrument bleed through the PA. I’ve considered the newer Line 6 XD-V75 system (although at this point I don’t think it’s very new), but I’m concerned about having the same problems with mic bleed. It seems the folks at Line 6 acknowledge the problem since they offer two better microphones with a much tighter pickup pattern (V75-SC and V75-40V). Unfortunately, it appears they do not offer a system with the V75-SC transmitter paired with the receiver from the XD-V75 system. I’d have to buy the XD-V75 system and add the V75-SC which puts the total tab around $850.

So, let’s say my budget is in the $700 - $1,100 range. I want a system that’s crystal clear, has a great range, dependable, and easy setup. I prefer digital systems so I don’t have any headaches with RFI but I’m not married to the idea.

What are my best options? Shure? Sennheiser? Audio-Technica? My vocalist’s favorite mic is a Beta 58 so Shure is really at the top of my list but I’m not sure of the quality at my budget and if I’m paying for a name or versus quality.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Members

Take a good look at Audio Technic's System 10 Pro. These dual digital systems have been working very well for me in both the rental department and in installations. Best of all a dual handheld system comes in around $ 700 on the street.

• Members

Bill - thank you very much for the recommendation! I looked at this system and a few others over the past month or two (not up close and personal but rather online). The big problem I had was I would read a great review followed by another great review followed by just about the worst review I ever read. You are one of the "very helpful experts" I had in mind when I started this thread, and your confidence in the System 10 Pro and recommendation have eased my concerns. I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet but this is the leading contender right now. Thank you again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

If I remember correctly, you can order Line 6 mics with a myriad of different capsules (standard screw on threads just below the ball). If this is true with your existing system, why not just buy a different/better capsule with better rejection like a Shure Beta 58 or an Audix OM9. Check with the manufacturer for compatibility but you could save yourself a bunch of money this way. Capsules aren't that expensive as compared to a whole system.

• Members

Yes, that's correct about the Line 6 and that's why I was considering it. However, I read a whole bunch of recent reviews and there just seemed to be an abundance of complaints that made me look elsewhere. With most product reviews you see high praise with some slams against it, but there just seemed way too many complaints. Ultimately went with a Shure QXLD24Beta58 system.

Archived