Small, light, powered monitors?

• Members

What did you have in mind as far as "Small" and "light"? A 6 inch driver or a 15? Kind of a wide open question.

For small and light I like these for GP bar band gigs. https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/SxA250%20EDS.pdf

Or https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV15PM--peavey-pv-15pm-200w-15-inch-powered-monitor?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI09_nr6uw2QIVT0sNCh0KBQPHEAYYAyABEgIsK_D_BwE

• Moderators
  • Members

I use a Mackie SRM150 "hotspot" type monitor in one of my bands for myself. I play bass but don't sing in that band and we use two Bose totem poles ;) as the mains. I go direct and have my bass in one input of that monitor and feed the other input from the mains feed. This is the same band mentioned above where we also have four B208D's as monitors - we have a CF of 9 people on-stage (3 horns) :confused:.

• Members
I use a Mackie SRM150 "hotspot" type monitor in one of my bands for myself. I play bass but don't sing in that band and we use two Bose totem poles ;) as the mains. I go direct and have my bass in one input of that monitor and feed the other input from the mains feed. This is the same band mentioned above where we also have four B208D's as monitors - we have a CF of 9 people on-stage (3 horns) :confused:.

Is the SRM150 sufficient for you for the bass? This is actually for our bass player, and your circumstance sounds almost exactly like ours. We all go direct, and he needs a monitor to hear himself on stage. The rest of us are playing instruments with some acoustics. We're all 100% wireless, so there are no mic stands. We are actually using a pair of QSC K10's as our mains. Anything venue they're too small for has their own sound, including monitors.

• Members

The backwash off the subs fills in the missing low end well enough for me and the monitor gives me note definition. I really have no personal desire for pants shredding, spleen homogenizing, vomit inducing bass ;) .

I did get to play through an SVT with a pair of 8x10 cabs the other day - strangely enough the volume control turns down as well as up, who knew :eek: ?

But I will caveat that I do have good hearing unlike most musicians - I started wearing earplugs in the 70's.

Archived