Another Sub comparison (sorry lol)

• Members

I used to live on this board lol. I have learned so much. Thank you all for your previous help. I am thinking of expanding and reducing at the same time. I'll explain. My FOH is a Presonus Studio Live 24 channel. My subs are Yorkville 801p and my tops are Qsc K12s. I am loving it. Powered is the way to go for me. This PA will handle most rooms. We have a few rooms and some outdoors shows where I would like to add another set of subs. A well drawing band I used to be in did a reunion and I rented another set of 801ps. Oh my!!! 4 of those things will bring it. I also added 2 more tops. So I thought I would by another set. Finding them used is difficult. I can get them from a friend at the local rental shop but they have been beat up. This is where I got my current set 5ish years ago but they were lightly used.

This is where the downsizing comes it. My 801p run pretty cool in most rooms so I thought instead of having 4 gigantic and HEAVY 801p I would buy a smaller and LIGHTER set of subs to use in most rooms and leave the 801s on the trailer until they are needed. I don't have to do this. I just want to plus I rent this out some and our soundman runs it. It would be great to have some flexibility. That is why I thought buying used is the way to go to keep cost down.

Locally I have a few options. Two sets stick out. JBL PRX618xlf and a set of Mackie SRM1850s. Both are close in SPL but the Mackies are both lighter by 17lbs and smaller so those are my favorite based ONLY on weight, size and SPL. It seems I recall some earlier Mackie tops having thermal issues. Have you all heard of any issues with the 1850s? And what do you all think regarding a side by side comparison? JBLs are $1200 and get the nod in prestige. Lots of people like the badge. Mackies are $1100 and are much smaller and lighter. I can negotiate on price. But you all are the experts. If the Mackies don't have any concerns then would you have any hesitation?

Sorry for being long winded but I was trying to give as much back story to help in the decision.

• Members

I have a pair of ls801pb sub's. They do get the job done. In general smaller and lighter means less output. Have you thought about just bringing in just 1 sub? I find one is fine for smaller rooms. Also yorkville Also has a 15 inch woofer sub that can get the job done in smaller rooms and could be added to your current sub's for larger shows. Look at the Ef15p for a light/high output top as well. http://yorkville.com/subwoofers/elite/product/es15p/

• Members

Well I don't mind using two in our rooms. I was just thinking I could add a smaller set to gain the coupling advantages while using the smaller ones for regular duty. Moot point now lol. both sets were gone today. Thats rare for my area. Thought I had a bit more time.

• Members
4 of the JBL PRX-618's you mentioned would make for a nice sub package.

That would be my suggestion as well. They are light, sound great (not boomy), punch well, and have a great finish that stands up to moving really well.

They don't have the output that the LS801p has, but sound better to my ears. If you are doing anything remotely resembling EDM, then stick with the 801ps!

• Members

We are an 80s rock band with some 70s sprinkled in. Mostly dance rock. Lots of Journey, REO and similar stuff. So far the 801s do great. I am more than happy with them. We could do nothing and be fine but I have people driving me crazy to rent my PA and lights with my Soundman and I run the lights. I make more doing those kind of shows and word is getting around that we put on a professional appearance and show. But nowhere near the fun for me. I would like to have some flexibility. Especially moving in to the warmer months for outdoor stuff. A set of 618s or 718s would still give me the coupling Im looking for while providing that flex for smaller rooms. Agehorse told me a long time ago to get the JBL and that was my wish but we ran across the 801s for a good deal locally and we were off and running. We don't have to pick them up and the wheels are nice. The 618s should back up on Craigslist and I have spoken to the owner. Now they are gone again lol. A friend just listed a set of QSC kw18 and those would be nice with my K12 and still allow me to add the 801s for larger venues.

Archived