Using a Crossover and Active Sub with a Powered Mixer

• Members

Well, I've got a another strange one dictated by lack of the exact right equipment and funds, so I'm coming back to the experts. We have a Peavey XR 684 powered mixer (link below) and I'd like to run an active sub with it and also a crossover. We've run the sub before by coming out of the line out, directly into the active sub (Makie SRS1500), Since the only "low" we tend to mic at small job is the kick, we've also just bypassed the mixer and only put the kick direct into the sub. If we are talking only voices and maybe an electric and acoustic in the main's...is it just as easy to do it that way and only run the kick mic right into the sub (also not sure about pre-amp on the sub, need to confirm)? Or you recommend going through the mixer in case there are some guitar frequencies that low? Is there a way to use this set up with a crossover you can then just send high's to the tops and lows to the sub? I guess the positive of direct kick to sub is you can maybe turn down eq under 100 and effectively create a crossover (albeit half $#@), but again, wondering what you all think. End goal is to get the nice bass drive the sub provides while helping our guitars by putting in FOH. Thanks.

• Members

Sorry about that. See below. Im not sure what switch u mean. The one I am guessing changes between monitor/main mode and left/right mode. We use it in monitor/main mode. We run a few monitors and two mains. We do have some external amps we can use if necessary....and we may use anyway to get another monitor mix.

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/xr684fand696f_manual.pdf

• Members

Question is are you running the mixer in main/monitor mode or stereo main?

If you're in Main/Monitor mode, take a line from the left/mono line out on the front of the mixer to the input of the crossover. Send the high frequency out from the crossover back to the left power amp in on the front of the mixer. Send the low frequency from the crossover to the powered sub. Maybe crossover between 100-120hz. Send the signal to your FOH tops from the back of the powered mixer.

Turn on power and run for cover.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Remember that there is plenty of important information in your kick drum signal that is not reproduceable via a subwoofer. Also, the fundamental frequency of a guitar's low E is 82 Hz.

One way without breaking the bank to incrementally get your system rationalized would be to buy a passive mixer and crossover. Then treat the Peavey mixer as a power amp via the POWER AMP IN jacks.

Make sure you buy a mixer with more channels than you need, with builtin effects and (ideally) sweepable mid-range EQ in the channel strip.

When shopping Craiglist for a crossover, almost any pro-audio crossover will do. You might also find Rane EQs with built-in crossovers. Any version of the dbx Driverack will also work. And a mixer that comes with a road case is a real $$$ saver in the long run.

• Members
Turn on power and run for cover.

:smiley-lol: Excellent! BTW - yes, running in Main/monitor mode. Your explanation makes me wonder if we can just use the built in crossover in the active sub and bypass the regular crossover (one less thing to carry). Left/mono out to sub, high pass out on sub back into the input you mentioned on the peavey. Only thing is...shouldn't the input used be the right, since the right is the main? Great input! (no pun!).

Very good help also from wesg....particularly the note on the low E as we'd totally miss it if I turned down the main eq below 100hz as I was thinking....and if we only put the kick direct to the sub. Good thought on a bargain way to make things work as well. Thanks!

• Members

Hey, your sub has a full-featured crossover? That means you only need to buy a new mixer.

passive mixer -> sub -> "power amp" -> speakers

Also, I see you contemplating the XR18. I think it can probably act as a crossover, but don't quote me on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Please correct me if im wrong

But for now he doesnt need anything new

All the mics go to the mixer —> line out to sub —> high pass out sub to amp in on mixer —> powerout mixer to tops

But u need long cables between sub and mixer (or place it near the sub)

U have also an external amp?

Then use that one for the tops

• Members
I don't think you can disconnect the channel strips from the main bus in this mixer. I don't see a where this device can use the sub's crossover to amp the FOH speakers AND be a mixer. It's an either-or deal.

If you look at the blokdiagram you see that its a breaker jack, and disconects the line out to the internal amp

Archived