PRX535s... Too Long in the Tooth at this Point?!?

• Members

Local shop has a deal of $800 for a pair of used JBL PRX535s, no covers. Currently using a pair of PRX615s over PRX618S-XLFs... was looking to buy a used pair of PRX635s when I found a deal on the 600 series stuff w/ 615s as tops that I couldn't pass up. I work with a 12-piece with horn section and 4 vocalists... was thinking that the dedicated midrange would do a much better job with this group... is this true for the PRX535s, or would I be throwing my money away on such an old pair of speakers? If I had a pair of 3-ways for FOH I could always use the 2-ways for fills or monitors.

Thanks,

Roy

• Members

My band has 4 of them. We have owned them for about 10 years and they have been reliable and sound great. I did notice one was making noise at the last gig. We had a PRX512m that made the same noise. It was a ribbon cable connection that is fairly cheap to fix. I got a great deal on the two I bought they were only 6 months old and I got them for $900.00 for the pair. At the time new ones were $1200.00 each.

• Members

Thanks for the replies... I would welcome more feedback as well. That would have been a VERY good deal at $900/pr. for them 10 years ago... when they were still the current model. Used PRX835s can be found for $800/ea. used and so the pair I'm considering would still be half of that per speaker and these have no discernible rattles, etc... but turning them up in the music store generates rattles in the drum section, so hard to know until I can get them out of the store. I'll probably go ahead and get them as it would seem that I could sell them again in a year for at least $600/pr. or so... and having them would allow us to provide better coverage at some of our larger gigs.

Just for kicks, I know they aren't moving as much air as our old (OLD) passive speakers... but can someone hazard a guess as to how the volume and coverage of one of these PRX535s would compare to a stack of a Peavey Subcompact, Peavey SP5Ti, and Yamaha S115H (all powered off a xover'd GX5)? lol

• Members

Paid these off and took them home today. Excited to press them into service with the band.

Upside: For the first generation of these... the PRX535s are LOUD, have great low end, and a less noticeable crossover point(s). They are like a nice set of HiFi speakers, actually... just a lot louder. They still sound like powered JBLs, though... for better or worse... and for my application, for the better. Ran a wide range of sample audio through them for an hour at decent volume... no issues.

Downside: Just a hair too tall to stand upright for transport in my newish Escape... which was expected. Had to lay them down. They have no covers... will have to buy some or make some out of moving blankets. No grill dents that I can't press back out, but one grill is a little more rusty than I noted in the store... was easier to see out in the sunlight. Probably got rained on once or twice long ago. (Best way to mitigate this? Wire brush? Repaint?) Moving one is best a two-man job, but do-able by myself. Pole-mounting... definitely need a helper.

Our gig schedule is winding down for a couple months, so I'll try to tackle the small issues they have, get them looking brand new again, and make some room in the band truck. Time will tell, I suppose... but I'm hopeful that the improvement in sound will be worth the expense.

Archived