Upgrade dream

• Members

Hey all.

Chewing over a few ideas for a speaker upgrade.

Currently running EV ELX112p over 118p - it's ok, but does run out of juice. Have a fair offer to sell them, so thinking about what else could be better. I'm happy enough with them but the market is changing and I probably need to aim a little higher.

Option one:

RCF 8003 as ii (x2)

732a x 2

Total cost: disregarding covers, about $8800.

Option 2:

SRX818sp x 2

SRX 812p x 2

Total cost: disregarding covers, about $8100

Option 3: just for contrast

PRX 818xlfw

Prx812w

Total cost: $7100.

I've disregarded other options: EV ETX and Yamaha because their subs get into that 50kg range - just too heavy.

The RCF, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with. The new sub is a bit lighter than the old model (at 43kg still more than ideal). I've never used the specific speaker but have always liked the larger drivers on RCF stuff.

The SRX I've simply never heard anything similar. The reviews are mostly great. The sub is marginally lighter, but more footprint. The tops are actually quite heavy. It's fractionally cheaper and I would have guessed it would be better.

The PRX I probably include for the contrast. It's only a grand (Aussie) less than the SRX. But it's lighter and the sub actually looks easier to pick up and it has the crossover in the sub.

Any comparison experiences? How do the powered SRX go in the wild?

• Members

Between the SRX and PRX it's a non contest. SRX sound better while being louder, better processing, better performance. Also consider resale value, PRX's are everywhere used, SRX on the other hand do not see on the used market so much. I would go with what you prefer and who has the best support in your location between RCF and JBL. When you say the market is channging what do you mean?

• Members

As far as the wild I've had my SRX812P baking in 100 degree minnesota July 100 % humidity sun all day long (and most of the night). Not a shut down, overheat or anything. The horn is amazing and compared to my MRX's (similar to the PRX drivers) there is no comparison. Where they really shine is the limiting, you will not hear it when limiter kick in, it's pretty amazing stuff. Those 12's do very well on the low side alone too, albeit they will run out of gas outside pretty quickly in full range mode, but they are not designed for that anyway, designed for use with subs. I wished I could speak for the RCF you are looking at, never heard a RCF sound bad.

• Members

Is there a reason you have not looked at EV's more robust lines? or Yamaha DSR's? Seems the pricing for you is really high compared to here in the US. For that budget there are other brands I'd be possibly looking into. Sorry you are in that predicament.

• Members

As for prices - Au prices have always been higher - even in 2011-12 when our dollar was worth more than yours, we paid much more than you.

I've got no complaints about my investment in the ELX series - they were a great price, they've done dozens of gigs. If space in the garage wasn't limited I'd hold on to them.

• Members

As for prices - Au prices have always been higher - even in 2011-12 when our dollar was worth more than yours, we paid much more than you. Wages are higher though too. It's just generally a higher cost economy.

I've got no complaints about my investment in the ELX series - they were a great price, they've done dozens of gigs, and ill sell them again for a fair price. No complaints about the ROI.

I am put off both EV ETX and the Yamaha DSR by the weight of the subs - both give or take 50kg - too heavy for me. They get great reviews though.

• Members

Option 4

RCF 8004 x 2 ~ $5000 street

RCF NX-L24a x 2 ~$3800 street

If you're gonna go with the Art series, go for the flagship 745a. Actually a pair of 8004s under a pair of 745a's would be pretty potent setup and around $7500

• Members
Option 4

RCF 8004 x 2 ~ $5000 street

RCF NX-L24a x 2 ~$3800 street

If you're gonna go with the Art series, go for the flagship 745a. Actually a pair of 8004s under a pair of 745a's would be pretty potent setup and around $7500

Now you've just increased the sexiness factor in this thread!

Only trouble is that those are American prices. I'd be looking at about A$16k with the NX or just under A$14k with the 745s. And those 8004 subs are also at that 50kg type weight point.

Close enough to double the SRX price.

Looks like a seriously good system though!

• Members

Only trouble is that those are American prices. I'd be looking at about A$16k with the NX or just under A$14k with the 745s. And those 8004 subs are also at that 50kg type weight point.

Looks like a seriously good system though!

Ouch! Sorry. Given that I'd go with your SRX option.

Archived