Live vocal processing...

• Members

Since I play kb, I use a harmony-m although I never plug in the midi side so I guess I could be using anything really. Since I play mostly outdoors I just use a bit of reverb and on one song I use the harmonizer. Other than that I don't overwork it. Less is more in my opinion.

• Members

There are 2 foundational things to make sure are in place before you add anything. Do you have a good gain structure (unity on analog board and -12 on a digital board)?, do you have a high pass filter in the 60-100hz range, depending on our voice, to get rid of the mud/boomy part of the voice?

If you are doing all that then I would go the next step and add a little eq to the 6-8K range as this is what helps the vocals pop in a live mix. This area is also one that can become harsh really fast so just a smidge will usually be the ticket.

Finally, utilizing some compression on the vocals will provide a more consistent sounding vocal which helps it pop out in the mix more.

If you are already doing all those and still want more then there are some cool vocal processors out there.

• Members

What is your goal?

I use a TC Helicon Voicecorrect XT on my own vocals (similar to their mic mechanic) when I am mixing. I find I can't reliably EQ my own voice. Not 100% happy with this device, it does not have enough head room IMO.

Everybody else gets a light treatment on the channel strip. Vocals are routed to a subgroup which is passed through a compressor set around 3:1 (very light). I run the compressor so that the lead singer's normal singing voice gets around 3dB of gain reduction. Each vocal channel goes into a pair of aux sends which goes to a Lexicon MX400 for reverb and slap-back. The Lexicon is returned through a stereo channel strip that carves off the bottom and top end. This channel strip is also routed to the vocal subgroup. Both reverb and slap are set at the "barely perceivable" level. Background vocalists get a hair more reverb than the front man.

Wes

• Members

In the digital world, if you wish to use an external analog processor, you will need a console that can send and return in the analog world and then you can use whatever effects processing you wish (like an SPX-990, PCM-81) but many digital consoles have processing onboard that is in some ways better than the older DSP effects and way more convenient.

As far as comps and such, it's all on board so no reason to bother with external processing IMO.

(There are exceptions, but mostly at the very high end of the gig scene, nothing anybody here is likely to be involved with)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Depends on the music style. I had PCM's that I loved for vocals and acoustic guitars for Jazz and folk, folk rock, but the same verbs were just too complex when the music got more dense. In these cases, a simpler algorithm like from a Yamaha (SPX-990, SPX-1000, Rev 7, etc) fit better. Different strokes.

• Members

thank you for all the responses.

As far as type of music, literally all over the board. The band plays some high energy 'garage rock' type songs, some ballads, but I also do a solo acoustic act.

My goal is to just sound better in the mix, so...compression, eq ? and at my age, I'm not totally against some pitch correction too :o

right now my pa is very simple, just a Mackie stereo powered mixer, 15' mains, monitors and a sub. The effect section is decent, but it seems I can only pick reverb OR delay.

thanks again!

• Members

So analog world, adding digital processing. The world is awash in stand alone digital effects units, as I'm typing this I'm looking at a whole pallet of really nice, clean gear being retired and there's even a Lexicon MPX-100 available. This is the kind of stand alone processor that interfaces easily in the analog world, but not so much with a digital console. PM me if interested, I'm clearing this stuff out!

• Members

Be a bit careful before deciding that what you need is processing. If I'm reading your post correctly ( maybe I'm not) it appears you might be early in the learning curve? Things like stage volume, mic choice and simple channel Eqing can provide significant changes.

• Members
Be a bit careful before deciding that what you need is processing. If I'm reading your post correctly ( maybe I'm not) it appears you might be early in the learning curve? Things like stage volume, mic choice and simple channel Eqing can provide significant changes.

thank you

been singing live for many many years, through somebody elses gear. I generally use 58 betas for live. i am definitely beginning the learning curve as far as setting up my own sound, eq etc. Its a powered mackie mixer, with digital effects which sound pretty decent to my ears. I was hoping for something to add something...presence? for want of a better word, maybe....compression, eq'ing, doubling and maybe an effect like a megaphone etc. :idk:

i have been looking at the footswitchable models, for some flexibility and variations while playing live, without a dedicated sound person.

Archived