Budget Handheld Mics

• Members

Hey Y'all

I'm in the market for some budget grade mics.. I'm looking at the three packs of Shure PGA48 or 58, Digital Reference DRV200, Samson R21, Behringer XM1800, or anything similar

Basically 3 mics for under $75. They will be occasionally used for Karaoke and backup vocals as needed. My two concerns are (in order) handling noise, gain before feedback and an on/off switch. I know none of these have the best sensitivity and maybe will need a little EQ, neither are deal breakers there, nor is Hi or Lo rolloff.., I fully understand what I am asking

I'd appreciate any experiences you might have, or A/B comparisons of them.

I value everyone's input. Please avoid the "you're an idiot to be looking at this price point" or "you are going to get crap" speeches. I have other mic available (ULX, SM58, others of decent quality), but need something for which this price/feature balance is fine.

PS - Despite my "newbie status" I am SOOO not a newb, I haven't been around here in a long time, and it made me re-register a while back, so i lost my status

• Members

Behringer XM1800S meets your description to a tee.

https://www.amazon.ca/Behringer-XM1800S-Cardioid-Instrument-Microphones/dp/B000NJ2TIE

That said, I would definitely give a Karaoke patron an SM58 before one of these. Why? 'cause the SM58 grille won't dent when they drop it. Actually, for that reason, a Beta 58A might be even better. I believe they have a more robust grille. Something to think about.

I keep a set of XM1800S under the seat in my van for those "just in case" moments, but I've never used them on a show. I did some testing a couple of years ago, and they were okay but lack presence/crispness when A/Bd with a good mic. If I were using one today, I would probably give it a healthy bump around 2K and a small bump from 7k-10K.

• Members

well you cant go wrong with an sm58 for a dynamic mic..about 65-70 each. however for those who are not bound by any cotrractual rider even though the sm 58 is excellent engineers have been hard at work to build a better sounding mic.... take AKG which is Harmon international which is crown amps lexicon pro reverb jbl soundcraftmixwiz mixers an akg d5 is about 65-70 and excellent for handheld stage condensers look at the akgc5 just as good as a shure beta 87 the akg wms c5 wireless are in widespread use akg c5 wired about 100-150

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks all...

agedhorse - I agree, if your not paying around 89-99 (street) for an SM58, I would probably question it as well, especially with how many knockoffs there have been in the last few years.

Ultimately, I purchased a 3 pack of the Behringers. Despite a little bit of handling noise, they otherwise seem to be exactly what I needed for the intended purpose. I have an SM58 and a ULX wireless, so these were an appropriate backup and supplement to that set and will probably see occasional use without any real issues.

Archived