some new ideas about new mic design

• Members

Don't know if anyone has followed my ramblings about a new mic design that I will probably never complete but here goes more nonsense in the same vein.

To recap: The design is for a nearly mass-less diaphragm microphone using a sensor (probably reading disturbance of a laser or possibly a plasma arc through the air) rather than a solid diaphragm. This mic would inherently be omni (with possibly a bit of toroidal pattern around the long axis of the beam or arc).

New ideas: Why not a cluster of remotely, automatically moveable sensors which would purposely cause a comb filter effect (or effects depending on how many are combined). This filter effect could be used to "shape" the color of the mic. It would also be possible to put some of the sensors 180 degrees out of phase and mix in varying amounts to create directionality. Interestingly enough this mic could be "aimed" remotely (think of a sphere of multiple beams like a circular birdcage yet with bars spaced throughout at intervals which are variable both in placement and intensity of output).

Another idea would be to make a porous sphere with crisscrossing bars which would be truly omni and phase coherent (at certain freqs he. he. he.). The problem here is the sensors them selves getting in the way of the free field of air that is so desired.

I gotta drink my coffee before posting wacky things like this :). I know this is far from pragmatic but more an exercise in physics and design but you never know. Someday.........

More dirt and seeds from a fertile (or is that futile) mind. Just add water.

Cheers

Gonna go drink my coffee now LOL

• Members

The goal is to have a ruler flat transducer (the single beam omni version). What makes mics (or speakers for that matter) sound different? Much of it is the mass of the diaphragm with a close second (or maybe first) being the nearby surrounding structure. Thinking exclusively mics here, the body of the mic reflecting & resonating around that diaphragm are much of what give it it's color and everything about it's directional characteristics (back venting to make for that directional pickup pattern. All of this, it seems to me being done mechanically could be done far more accurately if you loose the body & the mass of the diaphragm (resonance, inertia and all of those mechanical issues go away). Wouldn't it be nice to be able to record or reproduce exactly (or more nearly so) the air pressure waves at any given point in space. This would be the goal.

Pragmatically I see this as more of a laboratory calibration instrument (say testing speakers in an an echoic chamber) but if built robustly enough, why not move it into the studio. If it's even possible to build, I think with current material technology & manufacturing techniques it would be far to fragile of a measuring instrument to use in a live environment. Isn't recording and audio transmission just telemetry of the instantaneous air pressure of some given point in space?

Hope that answers the question.

Archived