Anyone got a recommendation for a dual band router?

• Members

I use Apple airport express routers, mostly because they work well in multiples. I have one at FOH, one at monitors, typically another one on the side of the stage opposite monitor world, and occasionally another somewhere offstage in larger venues. They all share the same network, so my Ipads stay connected no matter where I go.

Pretty much any decent router will work for you though, I just use the Apple routers because they work well for me. I have a total of 6 of them.

• Members
Looks to be single band 2.4GHz only?

And you really really wants something that is MIMO.

The BM5HP runs in the 5 ghz range. https://www.google.com/search?q=BM2HP&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbm=shop&q=BM5HP My Android tablet runs in the 2.4 ghz range.

Doug

I have a new Lenovo touch laptop now with an SSD drive and a I5 processor but to get the idea here is the older setup.

Digital mixer to laptop. Laptop runs Airfader and is connected to router. Router runs Android table.

• Members

I use a mixture of things. I have Asus RT-N66U routers mounted in the racks where my iLive boxes live. I have been toying with replacing them with the RT-AC88U but until they give me reason to do so they will stay. They have been great. For outdoor jobs I use two Ubiquiti NanoStation units mounted on a short microphone stand. Those things are solid! I can also use them to create a 5GHz bridge from the stage to FOH if I choose to use something that has only Ethernet.

• Members

Can the Ubiquiti NanoStations be setup as a WAP? As in my setup in the photo above. Can I go Ethernet out on my laptop and go into the NanoStation having the nano transmit / receive to my Tablet? Do they broadcast SSID or stay "under" the radar? Thanks for any input.

Doug

• Members

Dookietwo...

Yes the NanoStations can be used as access points and do a very good job. They are fairly directional but will obviously have bleed to the sides and back as well. Yes you could do what you wanted with that setup. They will broadcast or hide their SSID. When using in bridge mode (station/ap) they can use their own protocol (AirMax) to prioritize traffic even further. I use them in bridge mode just so I can always utilize the full 40MHz wide bandwidth. Most of the time when running them as a WAP you would want to nail it down to 20MHz.

Marty

• Members

Not all 5G capable routers are created the same. You cant even go to the other side of the house and maintain connection with cheaper lower power models.

The Netgear Nighthawk kicks serious ass. I can even go outside to the back of my yard and maintain connection. Upstairs downstairs in basement anywhere in the house at 5G.

You get what you pay for.

Archived