Thinking of getting another Sub

• Members

I have two Yamaha DXR 8s with ZXA1 Sub and for the small stuff I do this is great. The tops when crossed at 100hz easily can out run that little sub. Is there anything around 60 pounds or less that would keep up when I have an outdoor gig or bigger room? The sub has to be light enough so I can carry by myself if I have to at least a flight of stairs without breaking my back. I'm thinking a 15inch? The Yamaha 15 is nice but it is 80 plus pounds. The alternative is to keep renting when I need it.

• Members

I own couple of PRX715XLF subs which get used in small bars. They pack quite a punch for their size. When 2 are coupled together, they can get quite loud. I also own the 718XLF's and they sound very similar - quite musical. The low end is nice and tight - kick and bass...At 56lbs they are easy to carry around, weight less than the ZXA1 and offer 5 more db - not a hugh amount more but noticeable.

Now the PRX 700 series is discontinued, they can be had for quite reasonably too.

• Members
Anyone have any experience with the Electro-Voice EKX-15SP ?? By the way the ZXA1 sub is only around 46 pounds hfc7713 but looking hard at those JBLs too.

Sorry Cappttenron.. I was looking at the shipping weight of the ZXA1.

• Members

The more I explore this to really get a big bump I would need to go over 60 plus pounds which makes it a two man job getting it up the stairs. The ones I really like are 80 plus. So I think I might just get a second EV zxa1 sub and then I can carry both one handed and makes it modular. If I get a big gig will just rent a big 18 inch or two. If I was doing DJ type music I would probably bite the bullet and get a big sub but not getting any younger and I would like to keep my back in good shape. I have a friend suffering back problems from riding motocross as a young guy and its really shutting him down.

• Members
What subs do you have RoadRanger?
They're actually RevSound RS115's with the "X" drivers and "factory" installed tophats for speaker poles:

http://revsound.net/collections/bass...products/rs115

Modelling says they are not displacement limited even at 38 Hz @ 400W.

My X-Air mixer is rack mounted with two four channel amps in a 6U shallow rack so it's actually easier for me to run all passive :) .

Archived