Anyone using Yamaha DBR 10s as floor monitors?

• Members

It depends what you need in a floor monitor. For acoustic or well controlled stage volume acts in smaller venues, it should be A-OK. I know it says 129dB, but I have mydoubts, and that also doesn't mean it sounds good when maxed. That said, I have no direct experience with the box. I've heard the finish is easily marred so something to consider when used as floor monitor. The 7 warranty is certainly exceptional for such an inexpensive speaker.

• Members

Not doing metal bands or anything like that. Normally all the shows will be under 150 people and my mains are Yamaha dxr8s over EV zxa1 subs so a pretty light weight system. The two bands I do work for are a 5 piece light rock band and 6 piece country funk band. Just thinking about going with all powered speakers and selling my Yorkville elite 10s and my power amp rack.

• Members

Well it was delivered today and while I will not use it on a gig until next Friday I can say it gets damn loud but maybe not quite as clear as my DXRs but for monitors I think will serve my purpose well. Being so light will become my new grab and go to a backyard BBQ speaker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wish instead of these calculated Db outputs, brands had to subject their speakers to real use testing.

I've commented on here that the main two boxes I've used in recent years have been EV Elx12p (mine) and RCF422a (a band I worked for). The EV claim 131db (maybe 132, it's early!). The RCFs claim 128. But the RCF is much louder in a gig setting.

• Members
I wish instead of these calculated Db outputs, brands had to subject their speakers to real use testing.

I've commented on here that the main two boxes I've used in recent years have been EV Elx12p (mine) and RCF422a (a band I worked for). The EV claim 131db (maybe 132, it's early!). The RCFs claim 128. But the RCF is much louder in a gig setting.

​According to the owners manual of yamaha powered speakers the maximum SPL is measured not calculated. I have DXR10s and 12s and have never came close to hitting the limiters. I also just bought a DBR10 that I will use as a floor monitor this weekend with a classic rock band I sub for.

• Members
No I did not but mainly using them as monitors since I got my DXRs. I have heard the processor makes them a lot smoother.

I use the E10P processor. When I use my e10's as monitors (for vocals mostly), I set the processor in bi-amp mode and use the mid/high output to the e10's. I get very little feedback and there is a ton of headroom.

Archived