Portable Light Tower Generators

• Members

6:30 AM load-in for an outdoor gig (car show) yesterday and our promised two 20A utility power circuits had morphed into one of the above. Anybody had experience with the quality of the power from these?

t had one 20A 110V circuit and a 30A 220V three wire twistlock we were unequipped to use. I'd guess 6-7KW using a three cylinder water cooled diesel. It was mostly not my gear and the BL/owner wanted to proceed so we did.

Our Bose L1's cut out on every "hit" even dialed way back. I didn't have any suitable static load with me - we did have a couple tube guitar amps and cheap class AB monitors running but obviously not enough. It finally clicked that it has four 1000w(?) metal-halide lights on it so switching one of those on and letting it warm up got the power stable :) .

I'd have brought my inverter generator if I had known we weren't getting utility power...

• Members

I have had to power a stage's PA with one of those units on more than one occasion.

Crown Itech, XTI4000, XS4300 amps seem to tolerate the power.

I do not remember the exact model but it seems to be a standard unit used in my area. I have found that the the lights will take the majority of the power if you turn them on....

• Members

"This one had individual switches for the four 1000w(?) lights so turning on just one left me with more than enough for the one 20A 110V circuit it had available."

As I remember, the units that I used were marked 15A at the output. You must have gotten a better unit. (Lucky!)

Archived