Digital mixers - especially QSC touchmix

• Members

I currently have two digital mixers.

An Allen Heath QU 24 and a soundcraft ui16.

If I could get the soundcraft's light weight and ease of use with the Allen Heath's better sound and app, and about 16 channels (XLR) I'd be a happy user.

I generally use the AH for paid gigs and the soundcraft for light volunteer stuff.

I've decided to sell the AH. It's too heavy/bulky for what I use it for. The plan was to get a QU pac instead.

I've had a couple of trade plus cash offers though - several QU 16s which I know I'd like, but probably aren't much smaller than the 24 in a case.

The one that I'm thinking of though is the QSC touchmix - does anyone have experience with it? How does it go? It looks amazing on paper - small, takes an iPad but still has a screen for "if things go wrong". Haven't read a bad review online.

But then I know I love the Allen Heath, whereas I can't say for sure about the TM.

Any thoughts?

• Members

Hi health_eld,

I have only played around with the TouchMix, but my initial feeling was that the screen was small for my taste. I haven't really heard many complaints on the sound quality though ..... but again, I haven't used it live myself so I can't comment.

Have you tried out the XR18 or X18? I know that Abzurd moved from a Qu16 to the XR18 and appears to be happy with the move (I am sure he can speak for himself though ;) ).

• Members
.... Have you tried out the XR18 or X18? I know that Abzurd moved from a Qu16 to the XR18 and appears to be happy with the move (I am sure he can speak for himself though ;) ).

Hey, don't go spreading that around :p I still cross my fingers and sob a little when I use it as my disdain for Behringer still exists. I caved when they bought TC-Helicon, a company I own half the product line of. I was going to go with the Qu-SB but A) It wasn't widely available a few months ago and 2) The $50 - $70 for rack ears cheesed me off. I know it's a common practice and I've paid for them before, but I got the XR18 for $575 and it included the rack ears. I ended up going this route after getting an X18 (essentially a different form factor of the XR18) for dirt cheap with the intent of it being a backup and small portable setup. When I decided to use it full time my mounting options didn't work out. After deliberation I decided to buy an XR18. I was able to get the mixer, router, wireless mic, 1U drawer and a power conditioner in the front and lighting controller and remote antennas for the wireless mic in the back. The X18 is the backup and my "mixdown" computer. So I can remix the show or mix 16 track recordings at home without having to get into the trailer to pull out the rack.

Front - https://goo.gl/photos/BeXE54wNwaNsoAT28

Back - https://goo.gl/photos/f99y1pGb1ZGCv21m8

• Members

It's interesting how similar our XR18 racks are. You can see the dual band router at the bottom of mine. I don't have anything in the rear of the rack but, I've been thinking about getting an Ethernet to DMX adapter and using an iPad for the lights though, having the controller on the back of the rack would limit access. I'm not sure that it's apparent in the picture, but I made rack ears to set it back far enough to leave the wireless mic and IEM gear plugged in with the covers on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbq92ts68miijk3/XR18.jpeg?dl=0

• Members

Hmmm. I didn't go for the touchmix - ended up selling the qu24.

So I am pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the QUpac. But I downloaded all the different mixers apps to play with and gee I'm tempted by that trusty old DL1608.

Thoughts? It seems like a great app, small, and on sale for half the price of the QUpac.

Is there much difference in sound?

• Members

The DL1608 is a great sounding mixer. My main complaints are that it only having a single reverb FX available (and no chorus), that the tap points for the buses is quite limited, the preamp gains are manual, and that it isn't in rackmount form. I've been mostly using my XR12 lately which doesn't have those issues. The X-Air family unfortunately has an iPad app that is limited in functionality so you really need to bring a laptop with you :( .

• Members
Never cared for the verbs on the DL. I would likely have gotten that before my X32 Rack if it weren't for that one weakness.
New firmware with NEW reverbs released today :) !

Still only one available on the DL1608 :( - I really need two, one for vocals post-fader and one for instruments pre-fader.

• 1 month later...

Archived