Best way to pack speakers?

• Members

Hi, folks!

I'm looking for ideas on how to pack speakers. I have been working on optimizing my load-in and have been making steady progress. I have a Chevy Express 2500 with a divider, some E-track, an 8' ramp (quad-folding briefcase type). My load-in includes an organ and a Leslie, so I'm already committed to a setup where I can roll stuff from the van to the stage.

I've recently put together a box which some of my lights, poles, mic stands, and this has been helpful. Another recent change is that I've gotten rid of my small rack mount cases and have changed to a single 18U rack. An added bonus is that the 18U rack becomes my mixer table.

The next painful piece in my load-in is speakers. I have 6 NX55Ps, weighing 39 lbs each. I can no longer carry a speaker in my left hand (something wrong with my elbow) so this often means six trips to the van (some gigs are 1, 2, or 4 speakers). Additionally, I don't like the speakers sitting in the van, often on top of other gear, relying on friction and good packing to stay still.

Anybody out there with some clever ideas? I think I can spare enough room for a box-on-wheels that would hold all six speakers, stacked 3 high on their backs....but I have concerns about the total weight when done: it would be a 350 lbs load. Of course, I am handling an organ nearly that heavy......but the speakers might be more awkward to push around. Ramp is rated for 800 lbs, so okay there.

I've also though about boxes with two speakers each in them. I'm not sure I could stack these.

Thoughts? Also, how important is it to move speakers on their backs (i.e. so that road bumps are in line with the speaker's suspension) in practice?

Thanks,

Wes

• Members
Also, how important is it to move speakers on their backs (i.e. so that road bumps are in line with the speaker's suspension) in practice?

Based on my personal experience, I'd say it's seemingly of no importance. I've transported speakers "quite a bit and for quite awhile". Most have been generally oriented vertical and some generally oriented on their backs... no difference what-so-ever that I can tell.

I have suffered a couple/few magnets broken off the baskets or shifted, from being dropped... and there might be a correlation of cause and effect... generally I didn't see how the cabinet was oriented when it went splat. Maybe if the cabinet does a faceplant, vs. a back-splat, or a side-splat, the outcomes might differ... I dunno.

I've read accounts of what I recall were likely a model of EV ultra low frequency speaker, maybe some others as well... manufactured possibly in the 1970's, that were possibly on the order of 36", and it was recommended to transport those on their backs... but then I believe it was also recommended to routinely rotate those drivers in their cabinets to minimize "sagging" of their suspension. I suspect you're not dealing with anything like this.

• Members

Thanks, Mark - good experience to back up my casual guessing. I had a pole piece shift and ruin a compression driver last year, but these are ex-rentals, and I have dropped them myself more than once (I am stupid). Enjoyed hearing about the 36" EV. I wonder if that's what Marty McFly was playing in BTTF? :)

Bill - those cases look like what I was thinking of for two speakers. Do you use anything like that? I wonder how hard it is to stack them two high. Pretty sure three high is out of the question. I work solo.

Wes

• Members

Bill - those cases look like what I was thinking of for two speakers. Do you use anything like that? I wonder how hard it is to stack them two high. Pretty sure three high is out of the question. I work solo.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but that case is 80lbs by itself... plus 80 lbs of speaker. I think that I could lift that, but I would n't want to have to do that regularly, inside a van. That looks like something I'd be stacking things on top of.

• Members

Hm, yeah. There's no way I'm lifting 160lbs to stack it. I was thinking these had the wheels on differently, but I see now they're on the "skinny way". I might be able to make boxes like that work. I need to do some measuring. I was envisioning something completely different from what Bill posted, this might work nicely for me. Costly, though. May take a while to come up with the scratch (but I am patient).

• Members
Enjoyed hearing about the 36" EV. I wonder if that's what Marty McFly was playing in BTTF? :)

I did a little quick research... come to find out what I think I was sort-of remembering were 30" EV speakers (cone drivers)... EV and University Sound model #30W.

• Members

Doesn't matter what positions the speakers are transported in if you are even the least bit reasonable with your handling.

I used to transport 6 x JBL SRX-712's per rolling trunk in one of Mark's larger trunks. Heavy but an easy push... not good for only one person to push up a ramp. One slip and you could get run over pretty easily.

• Members

I carry my gear in a 7x14 enclosed trailer which is a bit easier to move around in than a van. Over the years I've found that leaving larger items (like speakers) as single units makes them a whole lot easier to lift and position. It took time but I figured out a load plan that keeps everything in place simply by its proximity to something else. I use a pair of cargo bars for two applications but everything else gets thick pads made from folded over carpet sections. This eliminates any damage from rubbing during transport. Everyone has their own approach but this has worked well for me.

• Members

I have the same speakers and found some large blue rubbermaid containers at Canadian Tire in which they fit into on their backs. I put a small piece of foam on the bottom to protect the back of the speakers.

In the rubbermaid containers I can stack two speakers and roll them on a folding dolly. If the ground is rough I may strap them to the dolly. Seems to work ok. I'm not sure I would want to carry anymore in one load.

• Members

Boy, those trailers look nice. :) One of the requirements I put on myself when buying this van was that it could pull a trailer "someday". Glad I got the 2500, it has proven itself quite well at highway speeds with 1500 lbs of gear in the back. I bet it will be just fine with a 5x8 or similar trailer some day as I grown.

ProSoundGuy - that trunk is BEAUTIFUL. Are those 12" speakers? I'm now in the midst of trying to re-arrange my organ rig load plan to fit something like that. I'm wondering now if any of the road cases we have have at work can be converted...if not, I may just have to get something made. Especially if I can find the right local niche to make the sound-guy part of my business profitable.

Comoxsax - Brilliant! I probably even have a bunch of those containers. They will certainly allow me to stack my speakers, reduce wear, and stop them from rolling. All good things. That is totally a good interim solution. Thank you! I would have never thought of that.

Wes

• Members

Boy, PSG, those speakers (line array?) sure pack efficiently. Been using a model to try and find the most efficient way to arrange NX55Ps -- they were clearly not designed for this. Every arrangement into a reasonable rectangle leaves a lot of empty space. 56x28" looks pretty good. 60x24" is more efficient. 68x24" would be easier to build, since it can use straight board dividers. The smaller boxes could have problems with the grilles clattering against each other. Looks like I should take my time loading on Saturday and take some measurements. It would be good if I can fit an organ, a Leslie, a box of speakers, my box of lights, and my 18U rack all on the floor. Everything else can go on top of that stuff.

• Members

Hey, Rob!

Wound up doing something like your plan again on the weekend. Main difference is that I figured out a better way to load my other stuff, leaving enough room for the speakers to go on the floor. I managed to get my keys rig, lights, large mixer, 18U rack, cable bag, mic stands, etc, 2 PS12Ps and 6 NX55Ps into the van. That's pretty good. Stacking on top of the speakers was a bit tricky, but I imagine I start to figure more and better ways out.

I'm still watching for a suitable road case, though. For some gigs, it would be really advantageous. The gig this weekend was an easy load in -- back right up to the trailer, unload the smaller stuff, the pull ahead 6' and deploy the ramp for the stuff on wheels (audio rack, lighting trunk, Leslie, organ).

By the way, those PS12Ps are incredible. Will rent again.

• Members

Lifting all that gear up into that van is a lot of work! One quick note here is believe it or not your getting moisture

through those back doors. Either get covers for your loudspeakers or put them somewhere else in the pack and

away from doors and espeically the back doors where tons of water and moisture can get in.

Keep your loudspeakers away from moisture.

• Members

PSG - you're right about the work! It's one of the reasons I am trying to get everything into cases on wheels. :) I have an 8' ramp that makes wheeled stuff a bit easier (and a long-term plan to own a trailer). Thanks for the tips on the speakers and back door moisture. That never crossed my mind.

Mike - do those Rock'N'Roller carts have a way to secure speakers? I have a regular hand truck with a flat metal bottom. Gave up using it for speakers since they invariably tumble off. I have been thinking about getting a Rock'N'Roller anyhow, though. One with four really big wheels.

Archived