Brand new!

• Members

Hi all,

I am new to this. I am looking to start some solo singing for weddings etc. My issue is that i have no idea what PA system i should invest in, i previously sang in a band but never took much notice if i'm honest. I have spent some time looking at different systems but it is still a mystery to me. I guess it would need to be suitable for both singing and be used for Dj as well. Any advice would be much appreciated. Oh and any advice on a suitable mic would be great as well.

Cheers.

• Members

Any of the "serious MI grade" or above powered speakers and something like an Allen Heath Zed10fx would probably be the ticket for what you're describing.

As for a mic, try a few out. I'm sure that any of the pro models (shure beta series, sennheiser 900 series etc) will do you well. Just pick one you like.

• Members

For solo singing at weddings you might try the Turbosound Inspire series. Similar to the Bose tower but better highs, lows and overall sound to my ears. Also a lot less expensive. Easy to set up, two mic/line inputs, light to carry, and leaves a good sight line. I'm currently using two for a four-piece classic rock band in smaller venues, and my wife uses one for her karaoke shows.

• Members

I have a Yamaha Stagepas 400i. It will handle vocals and acoustic guitar to a reasonable level, and will accommodate DJ input. If you want "disco" you'll need a subwoofer. The Stagepas handles that with a built-in crossover. I purchased the roller case for it, so it's really portable. I don't have a subwoofer because I prefer to travel light. I don't have a recommendation for a subwoofer.

​MIcrophones: You really can't go wrong with a Shure SM 58 or a Sennheiser E835. The possibilities are nearly limitless. You can spend more or less. For my style of singing (without dancing) I like a super-cardioid condensor mic -- less feedback potential if you have the speakers positioned forward of the mic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It is hard to say without knowing what you will be doing, your budget etc. For small parties and coffee houses etc. The Bose type tower systems are good. For larger weddings dances, outdoors, or more people you will need more PA. And a bigger investment. If you start ding bigger gigs you may want to rent a few times to get a feel for what is needed.

Re: Mics. I wouldn't get the cheapest thing out there, but you don't need to spend a thousand dollars either. I would suggest something around the $100 Mark sUchiha as the ones posted by Ed above

• Members

JBL has something like those Bose tower systems now, too. The Eon One. If you're never looking at getting bigger than small, these are not a bad option. Good sound, good dispersion, very easy to transport and easy for a neophyte to operate. http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/EON-ONE-Linear-Array-PA-System-with-6-Channel-Mixer.gc

My recomendation? Rent stuff from your local rental company and try to use it.

Once you have done this a few times, you will likely find out what you like and what works for you.

Wes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you're going to use for DJ at weddings too then, whether you know it or not, you are also talking about being the emcee. With that you'll need 180 degree coverage for the reception toasts, intro, welcomes, etc. Probably 75% of the time reception rooms are set up with the DJ / band on the "long wall" with dance floor directly in front and the head table being the only people in front of you. All the guests are to the left and right. Just keep that in mind if you're going to get into that as 1 speaker stack won't do it.

I agree though that the little column arrays would likely be a good solution. They look the part at wedding receptions as far as being elegant. For real DJ use probably a pair of the inspire ip2000 would be acceptable and probably the cheapest way to go. They'd get "loud enough" for receptions and put some OK thump on the dance floor.

Archived