Digital mixer use with a non-inverter generator

• Members

Over the course of the year I provide the sound system for a couple of annual outdoor events that use non-inverter generators for stage power. My contract states that my rig requires "hard-wired" power thus when, three years ago, a particular generator decided to stop producing power (mid show) I let the show's producer figure out a solution. (He ended up going to a local harborfreight and bought a Predator4000 generator.) Everything got up'n running and the show continued.

My question: On non-inverter powered gigs I always bring my Mizwizard as I am skeptical about using my digi QU mixer....

If I were to purchase a unit such as: Tripp Lite Avr Avr550u - Ups - Ac 120 V - 300 Watt - 550 Va - 8 Output Connector(S) to use with the QU mixer would that unit provide stable-enough power on non-inverter power (plus backup power for me to safely power-down the mixer in the event of a generator failure)?

I'm getting used to my Allen & Heath QU mixer and would prefer to use it all of the time if possible.

• CMS Author
Over the course of the year I provide the sound system for a couple of annual outdoor events that use non-inverter generators for stage power. My contract states that my rig requires "hard-wired" power thus when, three years ago, a particular generator decided to stop producing power (mid show) I let the show's producer figure out a solution. (He ended up going to a local harborfreight and bought a Predator4000 generator.) Everything got up'n running and the show continued.

My question: On non-inverter powered gigs I always bring my Mizwizard as I am skeptical about using my digi QU mixer....

If I were to purchase a unit such as: Tripp Lite Avr Avr550u - Ups - Ac 120 V - 300 Watt - 550 Va - 8 Output Connector(S) to use with the QU mixer would that unit provide stable-enough power on non-inverter power (plus backup power for me to safely power-down the mixer in the event of a generator failure)?

I'm getting used to my Allen & Heath QU mixer and would prefer to use it all of the time if possible.

The unit you linked is a line-interactive unit. While it should be okay handling over and under voltage conditions, I'm not certain it will do much with frequency instability. You should contact the manufacturer and ask (or maybe there's a useful spec available).

• Members

$94? I don't need to read the spec to know that it will not correct frequency problems.

In fact, I was surprised to find that it can even correct voltage, but the spec sheet says it can. This is likely one of those guys with a multi-tap auto-transformer and relays to pick the right tap based on the input voltage, to keep you close to your 120V target.

https://www.tripplite.com/avr-series...-port~AVR550U/

Good news, non-inverting generators tend to have nice waveforms, and most of this equipment is not overly sensitive to minor frequency variations (especially gear with world-compatible power supplies). But What Andy Said.

Wes

• Members

When the cheapie generators start to run out of gas (or malfunction) they start to hunt and slow down - the resultant brownout and low frequencies aren't equipment friendly :( . The inverter generators should just drop out without sending nasty power to your gear :) .

• Members

Say, that's a good advantage!

The reason I mentioned "world-compatible" power supplies was that they are, by definition, good down to 50Hz. This means beefy iron if they are linear supplies! Hopefully a non-inverting generator would never dip below 3000rpm (for a 3600rpm governor) but you're right, it could totally happen under those circumstances.

Wes

• Members

Thanks, Andy. That's very useful information. Every time I learn something new about how inexpensive generators operate "in the field", the less like I am to use one on a gig.

I'm wondering now if I should even plug my (modern) fridge into the unit I use for power outages in my home. Maybe I should just keep the water pump and USB charger on it.

• Members

Generators are in concept very simple, the control systems straight forward. In practice, the prime mover (engine) is not ideal, leading to frequency and voltage variations, plus the feedback from the output voltage to field current conversion is less than precise because the changing load simultaneously affects voltage and current. At the voltage falls, the field current increases which increases the load on the prime mover, which causes the voltage to fall some more (in addition to frequency). The control loop can't be too fast (too much gain) or the voltage will hunt (oscillate). The engine speed is controlled by a governor, which has its own control loop to try to maintain frequency. These two control loops can interact as well.

This is why commercial generators are usually more heavily built, with more ideal curves and properties. The bigger the generator, the more sophisticated the entire control package (including the mechanical "idealness" of the basic process)

• CMS Author

Indeed, the larger the generator package, the more forgiving the weight requirements can be, so it's possible to have an engine with sufficient rotating mass to sustain RPM's through minor running problems...which are far less frequent with a larger and higher quality engine. Adding the mass of a flywheel is a big weight penalty, but goes a long way to maintaining consistent speed easily.

Archived