OT - funny forum signature

• Members

I saw this in someone's forum signature (GS Suzuki motorcycle forum). Thought some of you might find it as amusing as I did.

"It's smoke that make electronic components work.

Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again."

• 2 weeks later...
  • CMS Author
I saw this in someone's forum signature (GS Suzuki motorcycle forum). Thought some of you might find it as amusing as I did.

"It's smoke that make electronic components work.

Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again."

What're you doing in a GS forum? Past or present owner? My first scoot was an '84 GS850G. Great bike, took a lot of new rider abuse from me and kept going. Mine suffered from excessive rusting of the chrome bits, but otherwise had no issues.

I saw a GS650 this past Sunday parked in Philly. It was in very good condition. Seems they just keep going.

• CMS Author
I had a Triump rebuilding manual - it started out with "Remove all Lucas components and bin them". And no - I'm not making that up :lol:.

Oh I believe it completely.

I'm sure you've heard the old saw, "Lucas: why the British drink warm beer".

When I was in college for automotive technology, my professor told us about how Jag's used to have two fuel tanks. There was a fill for each, located on the top of each rear fender. A transfer pump was supposed to, by utilizing the fuel gauge senders, keep each tank roughly equal in level, so one could fill the tanks from either fill. Of course, since the system was designed and built by Lucas, hilarity was bound to ensue. He told us of one particular instance where he filled one tank, and heard the transfer pump humming along as usual to move fuel to the other tank. What he didn't noticed until it was pointed out by an alarmed customer at another pump, was that the pump had filled the second tank completely and never shut off....gas was running out of the vent and from under the cap, pouring onto the pavement and forming a river down to the street....

• Members

I own an '82 GS1100E, purchased new. Had been sitting for quite a few years, outdoors under a cover, so a lot of cosmetic issues to deal with. Just got done dipping/cleaning the carbs. Hope to sync the carbs today and tinker with the idle mixture to get rid of a low speed hesitation. Otherwise, runs and looks almost as good as it did in '82.

BTW Craig, there appears to be a very active following for 70s/80s GS Suzukis. thegsresources.com forums usually have 150+ people logged on any particular moment.

• Members

I'd heard that most people in England in the '60s walked to work whenever it rained, as their cars/bikes wouldn't run :-) Now I wouldn't turn down a modern Triumph; if my '82 'Jap Crap' Suzuki didn't still run great; still think it's one of the best looking bikes ever (IMHO), Triumph Bonnevilles notwithstanding

Archived