Diagnosing possible damaged driver

• Members

Had an outdoor gig over the weekend, where we played at a higher volume than our usual bar room gigs. The bass players amp exhibited a loud rattle. It's a Hartke 7000 head, speakers 210TP and 115 TP (TP=Transporter), particularly when the deepest notes of the 5 string bass were played. The actual sound was OK, but accompanied by the rattle.

I had a consumer stereo speaker that did the same thing, which turned out to be a loose bass reflex port; after regluing, it's been fine ever since. I guess it's possible something is loose in the speaker cabinet, most likely the 15 inch, but I'm assuming it could be the driver itself (over excursion?).

So my question is, how does one go about diagnosing a damaged, but still functioning driver?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Members

I would run a sweep wave from a signal generator or even a CD at a modest volume on each cabinet and listen for signs of voice coil rubbing on the speakers and rattles and the like from the cabinet. If you can bring it up to a decent volume without hearing any of that stuff, you may be okay. Check loose grills and handles.

• Members

I use an iPhone app called "Signal Gen" from Media Punk Studios to sweep my speakers before high profile shows. I have a cord for my phone made up with an XLR end, so checking my powered speakers is quick and painless. It's easy to dial around and find the frequency that rattles etc.

Wes

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Every time I read that thread title out of the corner of my eye' date=' I read it as: [h=2']Diagnosing possible damaged liver[/h]

I have that topic posted on a medical forum :-) Meanwhile, I continue to consumer wine as if my liver is fine.....

Andy, my bandmate did contact Hartke, and was told no recone kits are available, nor is the driver itself. He found a used driver, put it in the cabinet, and all seems to be well.

thanks for the replies, and the concern for my liver :-/

Archived