Stupid deal of the day PRX XLF

• Members

Damn that's a good price. The 700 series tops are "just ok", IMO. I like these subs though. They go low and seem musical. The trade-off being they are decently large for a single 18" and limit earlier than I'd like when you are really trying to push the lowest lows. So sometimes you have to EQ a bit to get the SPL you need. Then again, I only have 2 so am occasionally trying to get more out of them than they have. 4 would be better in some cases. I don't have the room in the trailer or I'd be all over these.

• Members

I know this is stupid cheap. I bought pair SRX812P's. Right now I have not used them in the field as no powered bottoms to match with it although I do have a EV ELX118P that works nicely with them, but it's not a XLF. What I want are the SRX818P but gosh the price is quite high @ around 1400.00 each and $400.00 get's you a SRX828P double 18. I don't need double 18's though and don't want to move/store them. Also I'm sure the 718XLF would xover nicely with the 812P, I suspect as a system the 812P and 818P would play a little nicer together.

The 812P's do get stupid loud, but the specs seem inflated @ 136 db SPL. Maybe at 120 Hz setting with sub but how man subs cross over at 120? Oh and the 812P is BIG box. Heavy. I like the center of gravity though, if you put it upright in a trailer I don't think they would move much.

My first impression in full range mode was wow, lot of bass, they really do have a lot of bass, HOWEVER, after getting used to listening to them set @ 100 hz with sub setting and a sub, they will not replace a sub, but for little stuff more than adequate. The horn really shines. Full range goes into limiting quicker as expected, but the limiting is pretty amazing, it's limiting but you can't really "hear" it? No snapping or popping. I do have to run my ZED pretty hot to get to screaming/never use live loudness.

Then you have the gain setting "differences", not 100 % understanding some of the topics but some good reads here:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,156078.msg1449725.html#msg1449725

My conclusion is to increase your input gain as needed or use your input in "consumer" mode. So I guess I wait until next spring tax time and go for the 818P's, seems to be the season for GAS. Hopefully they drop a bit as well.

• Members

No direct experience with those... only hearing them out and about. Application wise though, I would assume they'd be apples to apples as far as output and how many you'd need for a particular event.

• Members

I ordered 4. I see that sweetwater has the same price! I've been kicking around the purchase of some powered subs for a bit. I am still interested in th JBL SRX 800 series, but can't find enough info on them yet. These should hold me for a bit. I still have a pair of MRX 528's and a pair of the 518's also. They play nicely for outdoor events. I still have the itch for 4 835's over 4 828's. My son's been doing a lot of DJ events (3 a week) so having cash on hand has been nice.

• Members

bugzie, kinda funny I have MRX 515/518's I still keep in the trailer for all my bigger stuff, I still like single seat adjustment of passive and I don't want to mix the SRX812 with passive due to the chance of delay between subs/tops. A lot of good reads on the 835P's on other boards, they splay nicely in pairs and are really intended to be paired together. I thought about it, but after owning the 812P no way would I lug them around but for the bigger guys like you running them in pairs on each side seems to be a great solution matched with 828. What I read also they don't go to 137 in real life but will maintain 131 132 db real world.

• Members

LOL I'm a long way from a "big guy!' Thew advantage of the 835's I could use is the 60 degree dispersion. Keeping the sound off the walls makes an amazing difference and i really love a decent 3 way box sound. I still can't believe that JBL gave up on the SRX 722's. I thought they were a great box, not a true 3 way but really nice to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived