Currently reviewing some Bose F1 812 active tops

• Members

Hey guys, I've been testing the F1 812 tops from Bose for the past few days. Did a gig last night with them (8th grade graduation) and my opinion, which started out very positive, seems to have shifted after using them last night. Long story short, they sound really good at close range, but in a bigger space the higher frequencies - which do not seem to be very present to begin with, seem to almost disappear, leaving bassy and middy sounding tops. Pretty sure it has to do with the 8 mid/HF speakers that do not seem to extend up to the frequencies a quality compression driver should, but I noticed the very liimited sweet spot of the HF in my small studio.... Another gig tommorow, and I really hope they sound better. They sounded borderline awful last night, although their low frequency capabilities are rather surprising. It's unfortunate, as I really like the compact design, low weight and output capabilities of the 812s. They have real potential but seem to be limited by the poor sound/dispersion of the mid/hF drivers. In a small space and on axis, they sound really good though... Here is the original thread (full video review to be posted after tommorow night's gig) :

http://www.djchat.com/showthread.php/129266-Bose-F1-model-812-first-impressions-full-review-to-come

Al

• Members

Pretty interesting - first I heard of them and I live in Bose country. I've used Bose on and off since the late 70's and they do have one big "issue" - they go for flat vs the somewhat hyped high end of the typical "live sound" speakers. These in particular are already down 3 db at 16 KHz so I'd boost some there - then "shelf" them up a bit to taste. They never sound like a compression horn which IMO is a good thing.

• Members

Saturday's gig went much better, as I found out that the position of the MF/HF panels applies some noticeable EQ. The tops sound much nicer in the top end with both panels pushed in. For my 8th grade grad, the speakers were on stage at ear level of the students, so I pulled out the panels giving the speakers a traditional flat look. Not knowing that this greatly reduces the top end, I was left with much bass and mids... After Saturday's gig, my opinion is much more positive. Output, sound quality and low frequency extension are all excellent given the small footprint of the speaker and vocals came through very well. There is a drop off in top end is you step out of the swee tzone, which seems to be mostly directly in front of the speaker or in line with the multiple Mf/HF drivers. Full video review to come shortly...

• Members

Thanks for review thus far Al.

I tried and got to hear that system at the Blue Martini, here in Vancouver http://www.bluemartinijazzcafe.com/gallery. They just have one but it covers the room okay. I certainly didn't dislike it.

Because it was their Saturday Blues Jam, and I was subbing for the host, there were lots of guitarists and singers who got up, while I got to sit down and/or wander the room to listen. The PA had to compete with keyboards a Mesa Boogie guitar amp, bass and drums. I was pleasently surprised by how it sounded, especially after I got the sound dialed in during our pre jammer set. They might be a little overpriced, but at least from this one experience, I would much rather see the 812 combo than a Bose tower and B1 combo.

BTW I know I keep bugging you, but when are you going to get your hands on some PK Klarity speakers? Right now they're my faves - although I have limited experience with them. http://www.pksound.ca/products/klarity-12/

• Members

Al. Part of a line array, even one this small, is it has a wide L/R coverage with a very limited vertical coverage. Any chance when the system was set at a straight line that this, by function, limited vertical coverage? I noticed the recorder was above the array. Could it be when the box is set in a straight line it has very narrow vertical coverage and needs to be "pointed" at coverage area. Might be worth a listen above, in the middle, and below the box when it is set up in a line and not. I can't think of any reason to eq the highs out when its in a line setup unless there is phase cancelation going on because of displaced drivers...... Doug

Archived