Class D amplifier question.

• Members

I know I have been talking about busking etc. etc. but I one more question.

A friend loaned me a 350w inverter and tried to convince me that was ll I needed. When I hooked it up to one of PRX 612's it kicked the breaker in the inverter. There was nothing plugged into the JBL.

Question -

Do class D's consume power with nothing being demanded of them just sitting at idle? This inverter was 350w ~3 amps. I would think that this amount would at least fire it up. Could it be that it wasn't a pure sine unit? I'm baffled. BTW, I was not going to use this inverter but just thought I'd try it. JBL gave me a future of 510w ~4.25 amps. Could it be that this was with it doing nothing?

• Members

Thanks AH for the reply. Like I said, this guy loaned it to me telling me that it would do the trick (I knew it wouldn't) but I was surprised that it wouldn't even do it with the 612 in a no load situation. I have an 1800w PSW on the way which should easily power both 612's.

BTW, what is a SMPS?

• Members

You want the pure sine wave inverter when you are dealing with computer chips and such and they cost more quite a bit more than the . I seriously doubt you need a 1600 watt inverter. I would bet a 750 watt PSW would run your speaker no problem.

• Members

A better quality supply producing a true sine wave will certainly run 99% of your digital fx equipment, amps, synths and laptops etc. with no hassle at all, just as you would expect if you were plugging in at home.

The best advise if you are unsure as whether to take the risk and go for a cheaper MSI would be to test it out before you buy. Any respectable dealer will allow you to test the inverter on your set up and give you the opportunity to return it, if it’s not right for your system

MSI is the modified Sine Wave=cheaper unit squares off the wave

I think the important thing is get a Pure Sine Wave

• Members

BTW, what is a SMPS?

Switch Mode Power Supply. That's what makes the new generation of power amps light in weight (not class D). There's a lot of voodoo in the design of SMPS. They are reasonable difficult to initially turn on (which is what Andy was referring to). Basically you set off a small nuclear device to get them started and then they run. ;)

Archived