Major PA upgrade decisions

• Members

We're looking to upgrade our PA to provide sound for small to medium size festival gigs and indoor shows. We've started with a few RCF SUB 8006-AS. Six of those cover the crowd we're looking to do, and most cases won't need to use all six unless it's outdoors. We're contemplating what to use for tops though. A number of companies in the area are using RCF HDL-20As (4-8 per side). We're considering going that route since it's something we're familiar with and have worked with, but are also looking into the RCF TTL6s. These are more of a 'column array' (2x12", 4 6", 3" VC on a waveguide) and would be much easier to deploy, take up less space in the trailer, and weigh less overall. Unfortunately we don't have a way to hear them and compare their performance to a traditional line array. We'd be limited to flying two of those per side, and I'm just wondering what kind of coverage that provides. Does anyone have experience with a fairly high end column array like the TTL6 vs. a traditional array?

• Members

I would go with the TTL6 cabs. Not every place will have the ceiling height, structure or facilities to properly deploy a line array and you probably wont really realize the true benefits of a line array with only two per side. With the ground stacked cabs on the other hand, you can use just what you need for the room/venue and they will work pretty much everywhere. Unless you are cross renting with your local companies who are using the other cabs and/or need to meet riders asking for arrays, you'll be better off with the ground stacked cabs.

• Members

Well, for the price of four TTL6s we'd get 8 HDL20s but would have to also get the appropriate lifts/rigging which may be another $10K. We do have concerns about riders. As awesome as the TTL6s appear to be on paper I don't know that we could convince someone to choose us vs. a company that's running an array (whether that company actually sets the array up properly or not).

We'd probably fly two TTL6s per side for outdoor shows, but there's not software I can find that shows what kind of coverage that provides. I have looked at RCFs software for the HDL20s though.

Archived