Want to run Subwoofers... But am mostly playing Basement college parties. (Power draw?)

• Members

So you see my dilemma... We typically run just One 1000 Watt Powered Yamaha speaker as our entire PA.

I would love to get some subs, As I know that punch will really Make us seem alot more professional and vastly improve the atmosphere of our shows.

However, I'm worried about tripping the circuits in our typical basement makeshift setup.

Is there any solution to this? not above trying something ghetto

Thanks

• Members

I'm running similar to Bill except have pair of active subs. Which I'm guessing that your 1000 watt cab is a peak rating. Might post what sub you have in mind and sure the expert here can let you know what kind of amperage it draws and how many you can load on 15 amp breaker without popping the breakers.

• Members

If it helps I have run 2 Yamaha 700 watt DXS speakers with a EV Sub rated at 700 watts and about 15 LED fixtures on one circuit no problem. If I remember someone put a kill a watt on 700 watt sub and it was pulling less than a hundred watts on average. For basement parties I would think one good sub enough. Also consider if you have to take them down stairs and you may want to stay with 15 inch sub.

• Members

1000 watts "peak" = 500 watts "RMS". Average AC draw is based on the (rated power/efficiency) x 0.125 = (500watts/.8) x .125 = 78 watts (or about 3/4 of an amp)

So if you were to be reasonably conservative and double this, it would still be only about 1.5 amps. No problem.

This is assuming the speaker is rated using "peak power", uses an SMPS and class D amp and occasionally hitting the limiter. If using a class AB amp, double the number, and if it's really RMS power than double it again.

This is pretty accurate.

• Members

Consider getting another matching top powered loudspeaker and purchase one 18" single or dual powered sub. This would give you more options and coverage with two matching tops on sticks. You will have much better results presenting your band live. One sub will work for now just push it a bit harder. This is a better choice then 1 top and purchasing two subs.

Archived