Behringer XR18 Owners

• Members

I've had mine for about a year. I use it for a monitor mixer for larger gigs with 6 wedges and 1 stereo iem mix.

I use an external router for wireless control via Android tablet and PC hardwired for back-up. Never had a problem

and the bands love the mixes.

• Members

Sound and features are great, but ... iOS app is buggy and prone to crashes freezes. Android app is ugly and not fully baked, but it's the one with mute groups, which is oddly missing from iOS app. Also, about 20% of the time, there are also significant lag times when changing screens, which can be very annoying. It's not as annoying as the fact the iOS, Android, and PC/Mac apps are all completely different from each other, in look and functionality.

• Members

I picked up an XR12 for $235 new - it's surprising capable. The TRS only inputs have enough gain to use with most "close" mics so it really is 12 "true" channels - plus the USB port plays break music or tracks (.wav format only) well enough to not need to "burn" an input for that.

• Members

I didn't know that about the TRS inputs that is great to know. I think it seems these units have a bang for the buck that is unreal. In the past I have stayed away from Behringer stuff but for smaller gigs and the wireless capability/small foot print they are hard to beat. I wish they did have an upgraded model with dual band wireless.

• Members

Nobody has a digital mixer with dual band WiFi built-in - I'm told there isn't a suitable chipset (module?) available yet. I'm not having any problems with the built-in but I know how to tame a computer/tablet's promiscuity. Normally your computer/tablet will continuously search for more desirable "partners" when it sees that yours doesn't have internet access and lock onto one if found, dropping yours :( . Even if it doesn't switch, the process of searching causes ongoing short disconnects as it chats up the others.

• Members

Yeah RR the main complaint I read about these things is dropping the signal. The other rig I use has a separate router and it only drops maybe once or twice a night depending how crowded it is. At least it just stays where it was and really no harm.

• Members

Well it drops the signal doesn't alter the mix but yes it is not acceptable for a big gig. Usually I get the signal back pretty fast. You can also run a cat five cable to a laptoop that works faster and never drops but in some clubs and bars they don't like cable on the floor so I use the Ipad. I heard that the higher frequency routers are pretty good at not losing a signal. Also running my DMX lights wireless but seems to be pretty solid so far there.

• Members

I dunno guys. I use a X32 Rack with an external dual-band router and it never drops -- ever. Well, I guess there was the time I went out into the parking lot to talk with a musician on smoke break and when I tried to show him his monitor send I was too far away through too many walls but I can forgive that. Dropping out once or twice a night when I'm inside the venue trying to mix -- unacceptable.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Wondering if there are any recent updates or input....new owners, etc of the XR model. I'm also taking a look at this because its' really the only mobile one we can afford and seems to have a ton of features. If I'm looking at it right, our humongous heavy box full of mixer, compressors, gates, etc can all be eliminated with the XR. Not to mention a snake. I've tried to do some research on a built in crossover, but it doesn't appear to have that. Just wondering if any new owners, updates, input. Thanks!

• Members

No really big changes to the mixer or apps. Still a solid little mixer, especially at the price point. I sold mine a year to a fellow sound guy who uses it with his band frequently. I replaced my XR18 with an X32 rack. The PC app is now almost identical to the X32 app and there are third party apps for the XAir series as well.

I am still a fan of the XAir series and recently put one in a friend's club where it mixes everything from Karaoke to small bands with ease. The Midas versions are worth a look. I know I prefer the Midas M32 over the X32 and I would expect the Midas versions of the XAir series to exhibit a discernible, but subtle, difference as well.

Short version: buy an XR18 or its Midas counterpart without hesitation if the channel count meets your needs.

• Members

They made a software upgrade since I bought mine that fixed some bugs. You absolutely must get an external router and I have the apple airport I think its called and works great, without it you are throwing the dice.at every gig regarding latency. I named my network virus-one to discourage people from trying to log on. Actually I have been surprised how stable its been.over the last year and many gigs.

• Members

A close friend bought one a few months ago and since I don't have any steady gig right now he asked me to help him out. I had 5 days to do some research and then do the first show with an all new setup. It's been a few months now and I like the XR18 quite a bit.

The on board Wifi still sucks giant donkey balls. Just pretend it's not even there. A good external router protected with a password is mandatory. Besides that it's been a fun learning curve saving snapshots and tweaking them more at every following gig. This is just being used on a 4 piece cover band doing local bars and clubs so it's very efficient space wise. Also all the guys use in ears so each person has 100% control over their own mix so I don't have to worry about it. There are things I miss not having an actual mixer at FOH but for these type of gigs its working great. For a higher profile, higher dollar show situation I would still bring out a traditional PA setup. But for what it is and the price point it's at I think it's a huge bang for the buck.

I keep a laptop running X Air Edit hardwired to the mixer through the router and set it on top of the rack with the XR in it. For FOH I carry around A Samsung 10.1 Tab A. I run the M18 program for the Midas on it because the graphics look much nicer, I also recently bought and downloaded Mixing Station Pro from the play store. The functionality and customizing that you can do is awesome. So many app operation options and you can create 100% custom layouts exactly as you want them. The singer, bass player, and drummer use Ipads to adjust their own in ear mix. The guitarist uses on of the Behringer Powerplay Personal monitor mixers. The guitar and bass are both run direct and there are no monitors, so the drums are the only thing I have to worry about stage bleed from.

• Members
Well' date=' in low RF areas, things will generally work better but in places I work the 2.4GHz band is stuffed tight and the higher stuff is filling up as well. Range is a lot shorter and more line of sight at 5GHz+.[/quote']

Exactly. 2.4GHz is getting far too populated. People like Comcast and other ISP's aren't helping anything with cranking up AP's everywhere they install their circuits. Luckily around here the 5GHz spectrum is still fairly clean so we haven't had any problems. We are also using wireless bridges that run a proprietary protocol instead of just using routers (rarely would you need to actually route traffic).

But if we were to drop even once per job, I would be finding something better or different. What if that one time it drops is the same time that a channel starts feeding back? (of course this would never happen :cool03: )

• Members

Guys - thanks for all the feedback! (no pun!)....it's really helpful!! I have one question about the external router. How does this work? You just get your own wifi router connect it into the unit? I'm not totally "getting" how you use the external router. Thanks.

• Members
How does this work? You just get your own wifi router connect it into the unit? I'm not totally "getting" how you use the external router. Thanks.

Basically.

It's like you want to put a printer on your home network, you just plug the wifi router to the printer and then anything connected to the wifi network can see it. It doesn't matter if you're hooked up to the internet... that network can see all the devices hooked to it.

On mine, I just wanted something cheap and small, so I got this:

Wifi Access point:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WKIKA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ethernet switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002EQCW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most wifi routers that you'd buy have both of those, but I wanted something as small as possible.

Basically, I:

- hook the mixer to the switch,

- hook the wifi access point to the switch,

- hook any computers that I want to use to the switch

Then the tablets or whatever hook up to that network via wifi.

Archived