Soundperson garbage bags

• Members

I'll be doing a show later today/ this evening. It will be raining during the show (regardless of what the band "thinks")... forecast is for approx. 1/10" during/through show time... more if get hit with a thunderstorm.

There will be a couple pop-up canopies supplied for the part of the parking lot that will be deemed "the stage".... but I know I'd better bring garbage bags to cover at least my gear, being the mains, monitors, amprack and backline amps. I generally use Hefty extra strong drawstring 30ga. garbage bags for this... but I'm wondering/asking if there's other types of bags or covers that some here have found to be better suited to the application?

• Members

I use Husky Contractor clean up bags (purchased at Home Depot).

They are heavy-duty and stand-up really well to rain and wind.

I have used these to put over (gaff shut at the bottom) my 15/2 cabs in rainy weather.

The cabs still sound ok...all things considered....

• Members

Update: When I arrived at the venue, it was pouring down rain, and forecast to stay that way or get worse for the next day or two. "Management" decided to move the event inside... observing there was what would likely qualify as navigable water running across the portion of the parking lot that was under the pop-ups and previously designated as "the stage".

Thanks to all for the advice... sounds like I've been using the tool for the job all along... although I didn't know about the paper shredder bags... I'll look into those for my bigger speaker stacks, which have been a challenge to effectively cover in the past.

• Members

When I saw the post title and the thread's creator, I thought that maybe EWI had come out with a new product line that didn't scream "Hefty Bag" when used!

They are lucky that they had an "inside" to move it to. Most of the outdoor gigs I end up on, that would have meant non-refundable cancellation. But only after two hours of "it's only a little bit of water", countered with, "Yeah and it's only a little bit of electricity."

• Members

Maybe the stuff I have to cover up is bigger than yours, but I've had the best luck with tarps or plastic sheeting draped over the racks/mixer/speakers/whatever else, with a rope wrapped around it to keep everything in place. Use one tarp over a whole bunch of things grouped together. Put a loop in one end of the rope so you can tighten it as much as you need to, then tie it in place. You can use spring clamps as needed to hold the corners or around odd shapes, which helps keep things from flapping around. They can clip your plastic sheet to a surprising number of surfaces, like case handles, casters, cymbal stands, Speakon connectors, doghouses, etc. If the electronics need to be running while they're covered and they'll get too hot with plastic covering all the vents, you can make a sort-of tent by clamping the tarp to something, like the railing of the stage or whatever gets you enough airflow.

All these materials are durable, available basically everywhere, and cheap.

The best price I've found on spring clamps is from Home Depot, of all places. Not a bad deal for a buck.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Almost played a benefit on Sunday LOL. Typical pile'o'carp PA under three 10x10 pop-ups. Those didn't do much good when the rain went horizontal 45 minutes before our slot. No tarps or even trash bags - and "volunteers" had to hold the pop-ups down as they wanted to blow away. I didn't have my van (and it's supply of HD trash bags) as I rode with someone else with just my bass LOL - was looking forward to a bass only gig as I provided sound on Friday and Saturday elsewhere :D.

• Members

When I started providing sound for outdoor performances at a local level I discovered that when the weather starts to get wet (rain) mid-show, promoters, for the most part, just want the show to go on... Looks can go "out the window" at that point as long as the show goes on...

• Members

Just not worth it me anymore. Now I demand a 3 sided tent and risers. Even that's not enough if the wind is strong and in the wrong direction, but allows focus attention to "saving" fewer things at once. It also means fewer outside gigs get booked, but I'm OK with that actually.

Archived