Question for technical people

• Members

I have a Nikon D5300 DSLR. I want to take some video but want better sound than the camera microphones can provide. Would it be possible for me to XY two condenser mics run them thru my little xr12 and get the better audio from 2 female xlrs to 3.5mm stereo signal into the camera? I am not worried about pro quality just better. I see Rode and some others make hot shoe mounts for cameras too but I already have the other stuff except for the adapter. Anyone ever done this?

• Members

From what I gather from the camera's manual, that input is for mic level, not line level as you would have coming off the XR12.

I recently had to deliver a stereo mic level feed to a camera guy with a DSLR from an LS9. What I did was came off the mixer dual FXLR-1/8" TRS 'Y' cable into a Whirlwind PCDI then out of the PCDI with a dual FXLR-1/8" TRS 'Y' cable into his camera. The PCDI took the line level signal down to mic level so I wasn't overloading his camera's input.

Another option for you is to get an external stereo camera microphone. Nikon of course recommends theirs in the manual (the ME-1) which costs like $180, but any stereo mic with an 1/8" should work.

Alternatively you could record audio from your XR12 onto a Zoom or similar recorder and sync it up in post. More work, especially with out timecode, but if you slate the top of your videos it's not the end of the world.

• Members

I've worked on a couple of super-low rent features and shorts where the camera folks were recording onto various DSLR cameras. We always just recorded onto a separate system (like a zoom h4n or a sounddevices 744) and used a clapper board to get a sync. There is also software that can match audio and video, assuming that the video has some kind of audio to guide the software.

All in all, it's a massive pain to marry the stuff in post, so I'd rather just do it in the camera if that was a thing that I wanted to do just for fun. I'd be looking at the Rode videomic or something similar. That said, you can just plug in an 1/8 to whatever-your-board-has-as-an-output and it'll probably work... try it and let us know :D

• Members

As i do wedding videos, i use external recording up to 4 separate handheld recorders (ceremonies). You can place them on the best place to record. Works a lot better then a onboardmic. Little downside of it...you have some extra work to sync it with the video, but a little practice solves this minor problem.

• Members
I've worked on a couple of super-low rent features and shorts where the camera folks were recording onto various DSLR cameras. We always just recorded onto a separate system (like a zoom h4n or a sounddevices 744) and used a clapper board to get a sync. There is also software that can match audio and video, assuming that the video has some kind of audio to guide the software.

All in all, it's a massive pain to marry the stuff in post, so I'd rather just do it in the camera if that was a thing that I wanted to do just for fun. I'd be looking at the Rode videomic or something similar. That said, you can just plug in an 1/8 to whatever-your-board-has-as-an-output and it'll probably work... try it and let us know :D

FWIW I have a Rode Videomic I use with my Canon Vixia camcorder and it works great. Substantial improvement over the built in mic.

• Members

If you don't already have the mics, you might look into mid/side micing (Google mid/side or MS). It works great in most cases and gives you a lot more control after the fact. It DOES require getting a figure 8 pattern mic and creating a special mic holder/stand conglomeration. FWIW I've done it several times with outstanding results.

my .02 worth

• Members

The mid/side mic sounds interesting I am going to have to try that. There are quite a few rode mics and pricing from 59 from the video micro to over to the pro version. I think for just quick run and gun that's probably the way to go. For better quality recording I just ordered a clap board and will sync up the sound from the USB recording on the XR12. Was listening to some youtubes of the rodes the Micro actually sounded better to me than the GO. Anyone have these versions?

Archived