Value of specs (I know!)

• Members

So I'm currently running EV ELX 112p over 118p. I've got no dramas with them but they're 5 years old so I'm thinking ahead. Not replacing them just yet, but within a year or so.

I am looking for as light as possible, and I certainly can't afford to go down in volume. I often tickle the limiters on gigs.

I was looking at the RCF Evox 12. Not out in Australia yet but it ticks a few boxes. What I did notice though, was that RCFs website says that the Evox 12 has max SPL of 130db.

Ev claims that the 112p without the sub runs to 132db.

This concerned me, so I did some reading, and had a look at RCFs art422a. I use these with another band. I was surprised to learn that RCF claims 128db.

I'd say with certainty that the 422a is louder than the ELX. I don't know how to put a number on these things but I'd say "a lot" louder.

Is RCF just more conservative? Has anyone actually heard the Evox? Any other thoughts?

My other thought is an RCF710a which I've discussed on here before and I think from memory RCF claim 129db for it.

• Members

I was looking for a smaller / prettier set up for weddings, especially when we go out of town and have to put everyone's gear in the trailer. I almost went for the EVOX12, but ultimately rationalized it was a very limiting solution. The tops are worthless without the subs because they are passive with all DSP in the sub module. The subs aren't a great solution for other speakers speakers because they are crossed over higher and likely have a more gradual slope than traditional subs. I know from experience with my FBT Vertus system, but it at least had a selectable crossover. The EVOX is fixed at 180Hz.

I ended up buying a pair of RCF 708-A subs and run 310A tops over them (for now). I just did this for the first time at a small club gig as a proof point and it worked out great. Not as much ooomph as I'm used to with my PRX718XLF subs, but then again they are about 1/3 the size and weight. I can roll an entire PA with subs, mixer, lighting, stands, in 2 carts. - We usually roll in 5 "things".

I'm not saying get what I got, just that you should consider if you'll ever have the need to split the system up for other uses. Like our 310A speakers are our normal monitors. The little subs can be used as a drum fill, or more easily center clustered in a PA than the EVOX where you'll have to have longer Speakons on hand to pole mount the tops. I'm considering getting some nicer 10" speakers that I'd then use as monitors for larger shows and mains for the small PA.

Oh, and the cost of doing going with something like a 708A sub and an HD10A, for instance, it substantially less than the EVOX.

• Members
According to the websites the PRX 718 is 36kg and the RCF sub 708 is 38kg...

Do you mean the 702? That seems pretty light?

BINGO!

Sorry, I flaked. I was actually looking at a pair of the original 708A's as tops and confused them with the subs.

Archived