Anyone working SXSW this week?

• Members

My first venture working SXSW. Covering SOHO Lounge for the week. All I have to say is that the people that come up with the show schedules are on crack. Last night the schedule had 5 min. between acts. Yep 5 freakin minutes. Obviously, things got behind quickly.

• Members

Nope... I stay out in the damn hill country. Last weekend Comfort and Stonewall, this week was Fredericksburg and Dripping Springs... screw going into town even when it's not packed. I make as much with a duo as whole bands in Austin. We mostly play wineries and get done by 5:30. Maybe it's not as cool, but it's sure more fun.

Can you explain the appeal of going to a show like you're describing, much less playing in one? I can understand the appeal of "producing" something like that, and maybe of owning a bar where it is happening, but I can't understand why folks would want to be involved with that.

• Members

A family friend is part owner of Soundcheck and he didnt know that I had been working as a soundman. When my uncle told him he called and offered me the gig for wed through tonight. The money is good, I dont have to hump any gear, and they cover my hotel. Plus, I didnt want to turn down the gig because it has the potential to lead to more good paying work. San Antonio just isnt giving me as many gigs as id like to have. Well, no decent paying gigs.

• Members
The money is good, I dont have to hump any gear, and they cover my hotel. Plus, I didnt want to turn down the gig because it has the potential to lead to more good paying work. San Antonio just isnt giving me as many gigs as id like to have. Well, no decent paying gigs.

Well, that makes sense... as a musician it still sounds terrible :D

Archived