Do we have enough PA system?

• Members

We are playing a debut gig at a place that holds 350 people. The length is 100 feet long about 1/3 the size of a football field. The width I don't know 50 feet. There is an attached room where the bar is and by the bar a pool table. We hired a professional sound company to do the sound they are using a 32 channel imput mixer and we can use their monitors. They want $800. Our bass player said the sound companies PA system is too big for the place. So i will be suppling the FOH speakers, a pair of RCF 312 speakers rated at 400 watts. I don't think 400 watts is enough power for the size of the venue. Does anybody think so? Realizing this I have rented a pair of Yamaha powered speakers 1000 watts for this Friday. Can anybody tell me is this Yamaha overkill? Is the RCF loud enough for this venue?

• Members

How much does the gig pay? I think you'd be better off with the sound company. Maybe negotiate a bit smaller system if you think its too much. If it's your first gig you want to make a good impression on everyone. Coming in underpowered & inexperienced will work against you and the name for your band.

• Members

I do events several times a year in an old Veterans Hall built back in the 40's, it's dimensions are very close to what you describe. The system I have used over and over that fills that room more than adequately is two Bag End 400 watt 12" 2-ways with two Bag End 18" subs on the Infra processor. In fact if I chose to, I could easily overpower that room with that system. Indoor gigs are not near as difficult to fill with a smaller system as outdoor stuff however elevation will be your friend. Of course I believe you know that the wattage ratings of your speakers are not the whole story ?

• Members

The sound company mains are too powerful for the venue? No such thing. This is what a volume control is for.

However, a system can be to small for a venue depending on the genre of the music, how many bodies are in the space.

If you are a rock band with 350 people in that big of a room two RCF speakers on sticks is not enough at all.

I am assuming you want a big sound. If this is what you are going to do then just run vocals through your loudspeakers.

Why would you want to do a debut gig and not have a sound company provide everything and then go rent loudspeakers?

This is not making much sense.

• Members

I think a key question is "what does the client want"

It sounds like you're full on, hiring a serious sound outfit on one hand, but not sure about what is expected... Not terms like "32 inputs" or "1000 watts" but what they want. For a function? That may well be heaps. For a club where they want the dance floor heaving? No way.

• Members
I think a key question is "what does the client want"

It sounds like you're full on, hiring a serious sound outfit on one hand, but not sure about what is expected... Not terms like "32 inputs" or "1000 watts" but what they want. For a function? That may well be heaps. For a club where they want the dance floor heaving? No way.

Exactly! Another way to go about it is to go to the venue and see a band that plays there regularly. It's a pretty safe bet that whatever they are doing is a good approximation of what you should do.

The 2 ways to get invited back are to impress the ownership/management by being good and sounding good, giving them enough business to make the place at least a little money, OR have a heck of a following, which means $$$. In the case of the second, it doesn't matter if you're any good or if it it ultimately sounds like 2 raccoons fighting in the night at 110 dB. Obviously, the best is to cover both, but at least the first one is in your control.

• Members

I can relax.The sound company did provide the FOH speakers.The speakers were 4000 watts on level four the whole concert. Plenty of power to fill the size of the venue which is the size of 1/3 the size of a football field.

Archived