RCF 705AS II and DSR112

• Members

Some advice please .... went to listen to the new RCF 705AS II today, was impressed. I need something that size that will pair well with the Yamaha DSR112s I have (thanks OneEng) and before I finally decide to buy, just want to know how best to set them up.

There is a crossover switch on the 705 for either 80 or 110 hz, which I assume I would set to 110hz. I also assume I should engage the HPF on the DSRs which works at 120hz.

Just checking - it seems like the right way to do it, and listening today (as they paired the demo 705 with a 112) it sounded fine to my ears.

Thanks all

• Members

Actually you leave the Yamaha set to full range and let the subwoofer provide the complete crossover. As for which to use, I prefer 80 Hz over 110 Hz, at least on the older version of that sub, which I owned, but you just switch between the 2 and use which works best for you. I find a lot of set ups in general have a build up of the frequencies around the crossover and 100 Hz is a frequency that seems hard to tame in small venues as it is. Just my experience.

• Members

Still having a love fest with my DSR112's ;) Thanks for the kudo's.

I have never heard the 705AS II subs like Abzurd has, but I think things will sound best with the 705 set to 80Hz and the DSR112's running full range. I think you will like the sound the DSR112's provide at 80Hz +.

I find it likely that you will run out of gas on your subs long before you run out of gas on the DSR112's .... even with the load of the 80Hz.

I do think it will be a really nice sounding and compact rig. It just won't have the punch down low like the PRX XLF subs or (especially) the LS801p's would have.... but both of those are much bigger and much heavier (especially the LS801p).

Depending on what style of music you play and the size of the venue, this may not be a big deal anyway.

• Members

"Actually you leave the Yamaha set to full range and let the subwoofer provide the complete crossover. As for which to use, I prefer 80 Hz over 110 Hz, at least on the older version of that sub, which I owned, but you just switch between the 2 and use which works best for you. I find a lot of set ups in general have a build up of the frequencies around the crossover and 100 Hz is a frequency that seems hard to tame in small venues as it is. Just my experience."

Thanks Abzurd - excellent advice as ever.

"Consider a pair of DSR118w's. Keep it family. " Thanks Pro.... I looked long and hard at the 118s, but the need to keep my wife happy about where to store them is an important factor and the manageable size of the 705s (and weight) is a major decision point for me.

"I find it likely that you will run out of gas on your subs long before you run out of gas on the DSR112's .... even with the load of the 80Hz.

I do think it will be a really nice sounding and compact rig. It just won't have the punch down low like the PRX XLF subs or (especially) the LS801p's would have.... but both of those are much bigger and much heavier (especially the LS801p)."

Thanks OneEng. I reached the same conclusion. If I were to run the 112s at full chat, I think it would need a pair of the 705s on each side to keep up. Having said that, it made a noticeable contribution to the overall sound in the demo, and I think will give a fuller and punchier sound than I can achieve with the 112s on their own. If we play gigs needing more rig than this, we'll be into hiring anyway.

Greatly appreciate the insights, thanks again to all.

Archived