Xr18 as a system processor

• Members

With the price of the xr12 around $300 you could (in theory) put one in an amp rack or post mixer as a system eq/processor. Xr18 could be used as 6mix plus mains (inputs 1-8) and utilize the peq or graph on each output. XR12 is kinda small for this but useable. Not for crossover and time alignment functions though

just a thought

• Members

If it doesn't have filters of the 'crossover' type, why try to use it as DSP? It's not designed for that. I'd much rather have a 260 after my mixer. You're still going to need that DSP anyway.

I mean... If you want the function of a digital mixer, why not get a full on digital mixer, so you get that processing per source [and all outputs..]? Then send it to your DSP with proper filtering. Mixer sending to a mixer sending to DSP seems kinda redundant. And having an adjustable Q seems more appropriate on the source, not the output.

IF it had DSP functionality, it would be a pretty slick piece of gear though. But then you're talking about a totally different piece of gear, likely at a totally different price point.

• Members

Think of it this way: the newest drpa has iPad control, you manipulate every aspect of its main functions. Really the only important ones used for passive monitors would be he eq section. For passive mains you would still use a drpa or crossover.

why a main board that isn't the xr18? Something with a Control surface, maybe analog. Like the drpa2 you'd have an iPad just for functionality. Drpa2 is $400, a few hundred more and you're into xr18 territory

• Members

Ok, fair enough. If you're already using the xr18 without any external graphs then what's the difference? All I'd do is put a mixer/control surface of my choosing upstream.

The xr18 isn't the quickest to get around on, I'll give ya that, but I'm noticing less tolerance using straight dbx231s lately. The PEQ is good and I dig th live RTA function. Is there any 6 in 6 out rack processor on the market with 6 band PEQ and RTA with tablet access? And bonus for left/right processing too? No, there isn't. Which is the basis of my post...

• Members

The X32 Rack has the cross-over filters in it. You can assign them to the matrix mixes and do exactly what you are saying in a 3 way stereo cross-over output to 6 independent XLR outputs.

Of course, the X32 Rack is more in the $1200 territory than the $700 territory of the XR18.

These days, I am all about getting powered speakers that have the speaker processing and cross-over built in along with the limiting and thermal protection. Sure has made my life much easier.

I sold my DRPA a few years ago and haven't missed it one bit ...... nor have I missed my amp rack .... certainly my back has not missed it :)

• Members

Interesting thought! I'm all for thinking outside the box. I'm probably one of few that hasn't gone digital but I've been researching lately and the possibilities just boggle my mind. I've had the opportunity to use an X32 about half a dozen times and am about to pull the trigger.

Archived