Why are EV ZXA1s more $$$ than EV ZLX-12Ps?

• Members

I came at this because I was "shopping" (thinking about the future) with product weight being a major factor.

I notice MF currently has the 8" ZXA1-90s for $499 (list $595) and the 12" ZLX-12Ps "on sale" for $350 (list $700). Both powered, both DSP, both seem to have high-pass filters (ZLX offering a bit more in choice), etc.

I don't much care about max SPLs; we don't drive hard, as a rule. I see different cabinetry, but don't know how to make a comparison. Otherwise, is there something in the specs I should be looking at to explain the difference?

Or is it just driven by retail considerations, inventory versus sales versus whatever?

-D44

• Members

The ZXA1 and, in fact, the whole ZXA series is a significant step up over the ZLX in terms of driver and amp quality. The ZLX is the bottom-tier series from EV.

That said, the ZX1 and ZXA1 both sound simply astonishing for their size. The ZXA1 top and sub combo is a nice way to do small to medium indoor work where space is a premium.

• Members

And I can vouch that the ZXA1s and matching subs fit in the trunks of most mid-sized sedans. While the ZXA1s have a measured max spl of 128, I like using them below 110 dbc (At 1 meter.) Always nice to have some head room, but I've also been known to run the kick through the PA or anything else needed. (Including a bass that couldn't be heard at the FOH in an outdoor jazz event. 100 people?) The matching subs are very tight sounding. (I like that. Others sound muddy to me.)

• Members

I've seen your positive comments before, too, and that helps. Thanks.

FWIW... to clarify for everyone why I asked my original question... I'm only thinking ahead in case we for some reason decide to expand our PA system for gigging (less likely) OR in case I just decide to improve the wiring set-up in our jam room.

I already have a ZXA1-Sub, and my thought -- if we ever really need to -- is to replace our current practice room passive tops with the ZXA1s... and then of we ever play out again, also replace those same current passive "mains" with the 12" ZLXs and use the ZXA1s as monitors when we're out. Decision to move on that would also be influenced by the State of the Wallet at any given time... and it would very likely be executed incrementally.

I'm thinking replacing our 12" passives with the ZXA1s -- and their onboard processing -- would probably give us slightly better jam room sound, and it'd slightly simplify the wiring runs around the room. At that point, the passives make decent FOH mains, and using the ZXA1s as wedges on those occasions, would give us better monitoring under those conditions. Replacing the passives with the ZLXs for gigging would also then give us better FOH sound (due onboard processing, again) with relatively easy wiring runs, etc.

When I say the EV onboard processing would give us some improvement.... it's mostly because our existing modest system doesn't include lots in the way of EQ, compression, crossover control, effects, etc. and I wouldn't know how to futz with most of that anyway. IOW, not comparing to onboard processing of any other brand of system, just compared to what we've got now.

In no case/at no time am I worried about needing more volume. If we needed that for some really surprising reason, it'd likely be a one-time shot and rentals can probably solve that.

-D44

Archived